The IIE Center for International Partnerships in Higher Education assists higher education institutions in developing and sustaining partnerships around the world. The Center engages in the following activities:
- Guiding colleges and universities through a customized partnership planning process to develop institutional strategies for fostering international partnerships.
- Conducting training activities focused on implementing and sustaining partnerships with higher education institutions in a focus country.
- Providing advice and liaison services through IIE's network of international offices and partners. Collecting and disseminating best practices in developing institutional linkages and programs.
- Convening conferences and symposia of international educators and other leaders in the field.
- Producing timely policy research papers on critical issues.
- Organizing U.S. study tours for higher education administrators and experts from around the world to enrich their understanding of U.S. higher education's diversity and bring them together with potential partners.
Learn About Opportunities and Current Trends in U.S.-Colombia University Partnerships
IIE and the Fulbright Commission in Colombia recently held a webinar presentation on the current landscape of U.S.-Colombia academic partnerships. Ann Mason, executive director of the Fulbright Commission in Colombia, spoke to recent trends in Colombian higher education and partnership opportunities.
View presentation recording
IIE Global Partnership Service (GPS)
The IIE Global Partnership Service (GPS) offers expertise to higher education institutions around the world seeking academic partnerships in the United States. GPS utilizes the IIE membership network of over 1,000 institutions to assist higher education institutions in identifying potential partners.
Learn more about the IIE Global Partnership Service
International Academic Partnership Program (IAPP)
The International Academic Partnership Program (IAPP), originally funded by the U.S. Department of Education's Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE), is a major initiative of IIE's Center for International Partnerships in Higher Education that seeks to increase the number of international partnerships between higher education institutions in the U.S. and those abroad.
Over the course of this year-long program, institutions participate in a number of training activities focused on implementing and sustaining partnerships with higher education institutions in a focus country. They commit to forming a campus task force to work on prospective partnerships, conducting an institution-wide inventory of activities pertaining to these countries, and developing a strategic plan focused on partnership.
Learn more about the International Academic Partnership Program
U.S. - Indonesia Partnership Program for Study Abroad Capacity (USIPP)
The Center's newest initiative is the U.S. Indonesia Partnership Program for Study Abroad Capacity (USIPP) to help advance Indonesian higher education institutions' capacity to provide high-quality study abroad programs for U.S. undergraduates. USIPP, a two-year initiative sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, will bring together six U.S. institutions with six Indonesian institutions to develop new, innovative study abroad opportunities for U.S. undergraduates in Indonesia and ultimately help Indonesian universities better prepare to host American students.
Learn more about the U.S.- Indonesia Partnership Program
Higher Education Experts Delegations
The Center for International Partnerships coordinates study tours for a range of leaders at higher education institutions wishing to learn more about U.S. higher education institutions and organizations. Participants include university presidents, Chief Financial Officers, and other administrators. Most notably, CIP collaborates regularly with the German and Finnish Fulbright Commissions, organizing week-long study tours at a breadth of institutions and focusing on a wide variety of topics, such as Higher Education Management, Governance and Funding, and Community Engagement.