All applications must be submitted online. Please review all application guidelines before you create an online application.
Applications are judged on merit in an open and independent review conducted by a selection panel comprised of international education experts. Selection panels will recommend finalists to the program sponsor. These finalists will be invited to participate in a two day in-region short course.
Learn how to submit the online application
E-mail email@example.com with any questions or problems.
Before beginning the application, it is very important to:
- Understand as much as you can about the ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program
- Think carefully about why you would like to receive the scholarship
- Consider how your goals and those of the ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program support each other
- Review the Application Instructions located in the Resources section. This will help you to submit a stronger application.
As you prepare your application, you may wish to consider the following questions:
- How will this study support my personal and career goals?
- Am I an exceptional leader in my chosen field who can demonstrate cultural adaptability?
- How do my goals and my course of study support the goals of the scholarship program?
- What makes me a future leader in the geosciences?
The application gives you a chance to present your study objectives - and yourself - to the review panel. Please keep in mind that the selection panel will only have the opportunity to meet you through your application. It is very important to be thoughtful and thorough in describing your study plan and reasons for pursuing a degree in the geosciences. You will need to convince the review panel that you have well developed goals and that you are capable of professional and culturally appropriate interaction with diverse constituencies. Please describe in detail the importance of your participation in ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program and how your experience will benefit you, the ExxonMobil Corporation and Russia upon your return home.
The application includes:
- Study/Research and Personal Statement essays
- Nine application pages with itemized sections
- Letters of reference forms
Official university certificates/diplomas and transcripts should be uploaded to your online application.
Additional guidance for completing specific sections of the application:
Study/Research Objective: Write a clear and detailed description of your study objectives, and give your reasons for wanting to pursue them. Be specific about your interests within the geosciences. Include a description of your accomplishments and leadership roles in research and academics. Describe how your plans will be achieved by pursuing a Master's degree and what you hope to contribute to Russia upon return. This statement is an essential part of your application.
- Examination Dates/Test Scores: If you are selected as a recipient of the scholarship, you will be required to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score obtained within the last two years to the university. You are not required to submit these scores with your scholarship application at this time. If you have taken either test, please include it in your application. If you are registered to take either test, please include the registration date in your application. Your application must show your English language proficiency. If you have any unofficial English language assessment tests, you can submit them with your scholarship application.
Please see the Eligibility section for additional information on TOEFL. For additional information about the IELTS and TOEFL exams and for practice test questions, visit the IELTS and Educational Testing Service website. Scholarship recipients that will be coming to the U.S. are expected to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Please visit the Resources section for additional information on the GRE test.
Personal Statement: The personal statement is your opportunity to let the selection panel members know you as a student and as a person, and to explain why they should select you for the ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program. Write a clear and detailed description of your accomplishments and leadership roles in research and academics. Your personal statement should describe your achievements and your plans for the future. Include your goals and reasons for wanting to pursue them.
It is especially important to describe your ability to work with other cultures, both inside and outside of Russia. Give examples of your multicultural and global competency. Address the following points in your essay: What motivated you to choose your path? How do you plan to contribute to Russia after you complete your master's degree? How did these experiences prepare you for what you are doing now and influence your choice of a field of advanced study? Have you had any practical experience in this field? Are you able to work in a variety of cultures?
Study Objective: Write a clear and detailed description of your study objectives and give reasons for wanting to pursue these objectives. Describe how your objectives will be achieved by pursuing a Master's degree in the United States. Questions your essay should answer include: What motivated you to choose your current career or academic program? What past experiences prepared you for your current job/academic program? How have these experiences influenced your decision to pursue a Master's degree in the Geosciences? How will participating in this program benefit you, the Exxon Mobil Corporation and Russia upon your return home?
- Letters of Reference Forms can be downloaded from the application website. The people you ask for references will be able to write more effective recommendations if they are familiar with your study plans and with the ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program. You can help them by providing each person with a copy of your application study objective and the scholarship program description. Reference letters are an important part of your application so chose your referees wisely.
- Application Submission: You must submit your completed application for the ExxonMobil Russian Scholars Program by 12:00 midnight Moscow Time on October 20, 2014. Applications must be completed online.