Why study abroad? Study abroad allows students to develop global competencies that are essential to succeed in the 21st century. Self-confidence, cultural awareness, flexibility, adaptability are among the transferable skills that many employers look for when hiring. Studying abroad gives students a competitive edge when applying for jobs, and has also been shown to increase the likelihood of being assigned an interesting project and even increased opportunities for getting a raise!
IIE hopes to rally students around our Generation Study Abroad Initiative and is seeking 10,000 students and alumni to join the initiative and help get the word out about study abroad. So what can you do?
Join the campaign
Students can also join by:
- Starting to plan early for study abroad;
- Check out "A Student Guide to Study Abroad" (available in paperback and as an eBook) and other IIE resources;
- Visit your school’s study abroad office;
- Join the conversation at #GenerationStudyAbroad on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Share your creative and innovative thoughts on what it will take to double!
- Encourage your campus to join the commitment and make a pledge to double their numbers of study abroad participants;
- Become a Study Abroad Ambassador and start a campus-wide campaign;
Finally: Go study, work, volunteer abroad and then tell everyone about it!
Start exploring study abroad scholarships and programs