The Avery Dennison Foundation Spirit of Invention (InvEnt) Scholarship Program is designed to recognize and reward invention, innovation and excellence in high-achieving students studying in the fields of science, engineering and technology at selected higher education institutions in China. The Program was developed to encourage students to continue in these fields after graduation by helping them meet their financial needs during the period of their university attendance. The scholarship is primarily merit-based. Selected students will receive a $800 USD scholarship to be used in their second year of study, with possible renewal for two additional years.
These scholarship awards are part of a unique and prestigious program offered by the Avery Dennison Foundation to inspire the spirit of invention among university students. In addition to receiving scholarships, awardees will be honored at an awards ceremony in June 2013. Immediately following the awards ceremony, scholarship recipients will attend a special one-and-a-half day workshop on invention. The InvEnt Program also includes a series of engaging on-campus Discover Innovation Workshops for awardees and other interested members of the academic community at participating universities.
The Avery Dennison Foundation Spirit of Invention (InvEnt) Scholarship Program is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE) on behalf of the Avery Dennison Foundation and the Avery Dennison company.
- Beijing Institute of Graphic Communication
- East China University of Science and Technology
- South China University of Technology
- Wuhan University
2013 Avery Program Leaflet - Chinese (1.90 MB, PDF)
2013 Avery Program Leaflet - English (1.91 MB, PDF)
2013 Avery Program Poster - Chinese (742 KB, PDF)
2013 Avery Program Poster - English (736 KB, PDF)
If you can answer YES to all of the questions below, you are eligible to apply for the Avery Dennison Foundation's Spirit of Invention (InvEnt) Scholarship Program:
- Are you currently enrolled in your first year of studies at a participating university?
- Do you have high academic standing (top 25%)?
- Are you a citizen or long-term resident of China?
- Are you interested in invention and innovation in science and technology?
- Are you studying in one of the academic fields below?
- Chemical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Logistics Management
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Packaging Engineering
- Printing Engineering
Note: Children of Avery Dennison directors, officers, and employees are not eligible for this program.
The application deadline for the Year 2012-2013 Avery Dennison Foundation Spirit of Invention (InvEnt) Scholarship Program China Competition is on April 22, 2013.
Download the 2013 China Program Application (423 KB, DOC)
- Fill in all the requested information on the attached application form. Be careful to indicate accurate phone/fax numbers, including country/city codes, and e-mail addresses so that we will know how to contact you.
- Be sure to attach all of the documents requested below under “Supporting Documentation.”
- Please type or print legibly using blue or black ink.
- Be sure to include an explanation of your university’s grading system as well as the grading system used to determine your academic standing in your final year of secondary education.
- Be sure to follow the specifications in the application regarding the essay.
- Write out the full names of organizations when describing your work, community, extra-curricular activities and honors. Please avoid use of acronyms.
- Carefully read the instructions for submitting letters of recommendation detailed below. Each of the two authors of your recommendation letters must complete a letter and a recommendation form. The letter and form must be sealed together in one envelope and signed across the back flap of the envelope.
- The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted in English. Be sure to include a translation of all non-English documents (unofficial translation is acceptable).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Along with your application form, please provide each of the following:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation and completed recommendation forms. One set must come from a secondary school teacher or university professor/instructor, ideally in Science or Math. The other can come from a secondary school teacher or university professor/instructor, or from a professional non-family member who has supervised your education, work and/or other activities. Both letters and the completed recommendation forms must be submitted in sealed envelopes. The person writing the recommendation must sign across the sealed area of the back flap of the envelope. Please place all recommendation materials in a single envelope marked, “Recommendations.”
- One (1) official transcript (and translation into English), and three (3) photocopies of each of your secondary school grades and first semester university grades.
For questions regarding the China Competition, please contact the Program Administrator:
Institute of International Education - China/Hong Kong
General Commercial Building, Room 601-602
156-164 Des Voeux Road Central
Tel: +852 2.103.1505
Fax: +852 2.603.5765
Website: IIE Hong Kong office