Incoming Brazil Scientific Mobility Program grantees will carry out their biometric appointment at a CASV and J-1 visa interview during pre-scheduled visa weeks:
- Visa week for Short-Term English grantees starting in summer 2015 is the week of May 18, 2015.
- Visa week for Fall Academic grantees starting in fall 2015 visa week is the week of July 6, 2015.
Grantees must attend visa week in the city that they selected in the BSMP Participant Service Portal. Grantees cannot change locations and therefore, must make arrangements accordingly. Grantees will receive specific information and instructions regarding dates, time, and location of the visa weeks. Biometric appointments and J-1 visa interviews will be held in Brasília, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo.
Grantees should expect the following:
- to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation Webinar hosted by IIE
- to receive an original Form DS-2019 at a specific pick up location
- to participate in visa interviews
What to Expect
- All BSMP grantees must submit a completed application to IIE in order to be placed at a host institution. Grantees will be notified of their admission to a U.S. host institution in their Terms of Appointment (TOA), which they will be able to retrieve from the BSMP Participant Service Portal.
- Once grantees receive the TOA in the Portal, all pages must be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded to the Portal. Please be aware that issuance of TOAs is contingent upon university admissions decisions and therefore, will be sent to individual grantees at different times.
- After IIE has received grantees' signed TOAs, grantees will receive a copy of their Form DS-2019 from IIE in the Portal with step-by-step instructions for the J-1 visa application process.
- Grantees will attend a biometric appointment and visa interview during the pre-determined visa week depending on their cohort.
- Grantees attending visa week in Brasília, Recife, and Rio de Janeiro must independently schedule their biometric appointment and visa interview.
- Grantees attending visa week in São Paulo will schedule their biometric appointment and attend a visa interview per the instructions provided by IIE.
- Grantees must also attend a Pre-Departure Webinar which will highlight some of the arrival processes and program details.
- After the visa interview, grantees will receive the J-1 visa. The wait time to receive a J-1 visa after a visa interview can vary, depending on the consulate. IIE cannot provide exact expected wait times.
Don’t worry if other BSMP grantees receive TOAs or Forms DS-2019 before you!