The deadline to submit Generation Study AbroadTM Commitments is October 15, 2014 in order to be recognized by IIE during International Education Week.
Please submit a Letter of Commitment for Organizations (85 KB, Word) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the higher education community, IIE seeks the support of all types of organizations – from study abroad program providers to youth-oriented organizations and social network services- who will be able to contribute scholarships, resources, and be able to broaden the participation in study abroad. In particular, IIE welcomes organizations who provide programs and services focused on access to education. By engaging new audiences in the dialogue on study abroad, we will be able to ensure that study abroad will be viewed as a necessity, rather than a luxury, for all college students and an essential component of a college degree in the 21st century.
Examples of commitments by organizations:
AIFS Generation Study Abroad scholarships. AIFS will provide $250,000 in financial assistance over five years for students from commitment partner campuses to participate on their semester and summer programs. Students can apply now for scholarships of $500-$1,000 toward an AIFS program, with a deadline of September 15 for Spring 2015 programs.
Athena Study Abroad pledges to increase underserved minority group participation in programs by 50% through more scholarships specifically for underserved student communities.
EF College Study Tours will create a series of professional development programs and provide faculty scholarships starting in fall 2014, in order to encourage faculty from partner campuses to lead short-term study abroad programs. They will also assist with research and offer up to 10 grants of $5,000 available (for a total commitment of $50,000) in the fall of 2014 to explore the impact of short-term faculty-led study abroad programs on students, faculty, and institutions.
ExPat Women of Color pledges to encourage student abroad participants for minority female students.
National Geographic will help build the pipeline for study abroad by promoting Generation Study Abroad through our Geo-Educator Community social media channels.
One World Now! is committed to providing at least 1,000 study abroad scholarships to underserved high school students in the next decade and intends to inspire at least 10,000 more to access travel abroad resources through youth led advocacy and national social media campaigns.
SIT Study Abroad commits to building need-based scholarship funding to over $1 million each year through our innovative Pell Grant Match Program and other scholarships.
Terra Dotta will support research on the impact of technology and finance on study abroad.
Organizations that join the commitment agree to such actions:
- Take actions to undertake new and expanded activities to enable more students to study abroad, such as increase the number of full scholarships or conduct a signature activity;
- Encourage and engage alumni to highlight study abroad as career-enhancing experience (e.g. through participation in surveys, studies, and storytelling);
- Conduct research studies on applicants and alumni to understand motivations for study abroad and impact of study abroad;
- Host an event convening members to encourage them to increase study abroad participation and to generate ideas on how to significantly move the needle;
- Include Generation Study Abroad as a topic for a session at a national conference and promote Generation Study Abroad through the provider's listservs and social media channels;
- Put a Generation Study Abroad badge on their websites;
- Join the conversation at #GenerationStudyAbroad;
- Update IIE on an annual basis on their activities and progress toward meeting that target.
IIE will support commitment members in the following ways:
- Recognize commitment members on IIE's website and press releases, and provide a special badge;
- Invite members to participate in annual meetings on doubling U.S. study abroad, webinars and National Conference Calls;
- Provide study abroad materials to members;
- Invite all members to participate in the Generation Study Abroad Summit from October 8-9, 2015 in Wasington, DC.