In order for an application to be complete and considered for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, students must have the below components submitted:
- Online application with uploaded transcript submitted by the student deadline
- Online study abroad and financial aid advisor certifications submitted by the advisor certification deadline
Late applications will not be considered.
For deadline information please refer to the Deadlines & Timeline page.
Certifying a Student’s Application:
- Once your account has been verified, login and select the "Applications" tab along the top of the page.
- Select the "Awaiting Certification" section directly below the tabs.
- Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu.
- Select the blue certification ribbon next to the student's name when you are ready to answer the certification questions.
- Review and answer the certification questions and submit the page.
What are advisors asked to certify?
The financial aid advisor is asked to verify that the student is currently receiving a Federal Pell Grant (the term that they are applying for the Gilman Scholarship OR the term that they will be abroad) and the estimated amount of financial aid, in grants and scholarships that the student may apply to their international exchange program.
The study abroad advisor is asked to verify that the education abroad program information provided by the student is correct, and that the program they are applying to is eligible for undergraduate academic credit at the student's home university.
Process for certifying applications:
All certifying financial aid and study abroad advisors, once registered and verified, will be available within the applications for students at the same institution to select from the drop-down within their application. All applicants are advised that prior to submitting their application they should contact both the financial aid and study abroad offices to confirm that they are selecting the correct advisors in their application.
Once a student submits the online application, the financial aid and study abroad advisor selected by the student will automatically receive an email. The email will notify you that one of your students has submitted an application. Please be sure to check your spam filters for any emails from the Gilman system.
To certify a student's application, log in to your online Gilman advisor account. Once you have logged in you will be able to view a list of your students who have submitted applications. Click on the ribbon icon to certify the application per the detailed instructions above.
We encourage all advisors to submit certifications as quickly as possible. This ensures timely processing of your student's application and allows time for any questions or issues to be addressed as quickly as possible. For deadline information please refer to the Deadlines & Timeline page.