Instructions for Uploading Transcripts into the Gilman Online Application
All Gilman Scholarship Applicants Must Provide:
- Current University Transcript: One copy of your official undergraduate transcript from your current college or university. Your current institution transcript must include the completed term before your Gilman application and/or your current “in progress” term.
- Transfer University Transcript(s): One copy of your undergraduate transcripts (either official or unofficial) from any previous institution you have attended listed in your application. If you were not a "degree seeking student" at an institution, it is not required for you to list this institution in your application or to upload this transcript(s). (Note: Unofficial transcripts may be issued from your institution or web-based from your student account, but copy and pasted versions are not acceptable).
You will need to request your transcripts from the appropriate institutions and have them mailed directly to you. Do not have your transcripts mailed to the Gilman Scholarship Program. Official transcripts can be opened for the purpose of scanning and uploading into your online application.
If this is your first academic term at your home institution you can upload an "in-progress" transcript or an official enrollment verification letter, including your academic courses, issued from your registrar's office in place of your home institution transcript. In addition, if you are a freshman, you will be required to include your high school transcript in your application.
Regardless of your academic status, undergraduate transcripts are required. Failure to submit required transcripts could deem your application ineligible.
- Official transcript
- Student copy of an official transcript
- Photocopy of official transcript
- Web-based transcripts ONLY for your transfer/previously attended institution or high school, when applicable (this is a document that you personally print from your online student account).
- Degree progress Reports
- Copy and pasted documents
If you have any questions about uploading transcripts into your online application, please contact the Gilman Program. You can also view an instructional video to assist you with uploading your transcripts.
How to Upload Your Transcript to Your Online Application:
Once you receive your transcripts, scan them onto your computer or USB and save the document as a .pdf, .png, or .jpg. These are the only file formats that our system will allow for upload. When you scan your transcript, make sure that you scan all pages of the transcript, including front and back. The application system will only allow you to upload one document per institution and the file size must not exceed 12MB. Therefore, you will need to save all pages for each transcript into one document and compress/resize the file if necessary. We also ask to you to ensure that the file is rotated correctly. Lastly, it’s very important that your documents are legible. If your documents are not legible, this could deem your application ineligible.
These instructions are provided to you so that not only do you properly upload your transcript(s), but also so your application can be successfully reviewed by the selection committee.
Compress/Reduce File Size:
The system will only accept files that are no greater than 12MB. In order for it to upload properly, you may need to compress your file. You can compress a PDF file by opening it with the latest Adobe Software and following these instructions.
Using Adobe Acrobat:
- Once you have opened the PDF file, go to File.
- Click on Save As.
- Then, click Reduced Size PDF.
- A message will pop up that says "Make Compatible with". Select Retain existing and click OK.
- Save the reduced PDF file either using the same file name or some other file name (i.e. with “compressed” in the name) and then click OK to start compressing. This is done to make certain that the original document is not modified.
Using CVISION Technologies:
- Go to CVISION Technologies. (We link you to the free online version)
- Select the Compress option.
- Then Select Documents that you would like to compress.
- Once your file has been processed a table consisting of the details will appear.
- To download your file, click on the image of your file in the "Get Your File" column.
- You will be prompted to provide your email and contact information. After you fill out the information, click submit.
- Your document will automatically open. Save the compressed .pdf file either using the same file name or some other file name (i.e. with "compressed" in the name).
Combine PDF Files:
If you need to merge files to create one PDF to upload, please follow these instructions. The Gilman Program offers you various methods depending on your software capability.
Using Adobe Acrobat:
- Start Adobe Acrobat.
- From the getting started window, choose Combine PDFs into PDF, then choose Add Files in the upper left corner.
- A new dialog box opens so that you can add the files you want to combine. Click the Browse button, navigate to each file, and click the Open button to select it.
- When you have listed all the files to be included, use the "Move Up” and “Move Down” buttons to rearrange the order of the files or the “Remove” button to delete a particular file.
- When you are done arranging your files, click Combine Files.
- Save the combined .pdf file to a designated folder. From the File menu, click Save As and then PDF.
- Go to PDFJoin.
- Please note there is a 15MB size limit for each .pdf file uploaded.
- Click Choose File and select the appropriate .pdf file from your computer. (Repeat step 2 as necessary.)
- After selecting the files, click Join. When your files have been combined together a dialogue box will appear. Click Open and save the combined .pdf file to a designated folder.
Rotate Pages within PDF:
If you need to rotate your PDF so it is right-side up, please follow these instructions. The Gilman Program offers you different methods depending on your software capability.
Using Adobe Acrobat:
- Click on Tools, then Pages and select Rotate.
- A message will pop up that says "Rotate Pages". Select your desired direction.
- Save your file with the correctly rotated documents.
Using Rotate PDF:
- Go to Rotate PDF.
- Click Browse in Step 1 and select the appropriate .pdf file from your computer.
- After selecting the file, choose the rotation angle using the examples indicated on the page.
- Click Rotate PDF.
- Click Download to see the rotated file and save the file to your chosen location.
Polishing Your Transcripts:
After you upload your transcripts, preview the file to make sure that you uploaded the correct transcript(s) and that the pages are legible. If not:
- Re-scan the pages
- Save them again
- Remove the file in the Transcript Upload Page
- Upload the re-scanned document.
If you have any difficulty obtaining a transcript from a particular institution it is very important that you contact the Gilman Program. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
Furthermore, it is in your best interest to upload your transcript as soon as possible and to ensure it does not exceed the 12MB file size capacity. Please be aware that if you upload a large file and have a slow internet connection, you could experience technical difficulties, especially closer to and on the deadline day. We encourage you to compress/resize large files, upload your transcript well in advance of the deadline day, and to contact the Gilman Program immediately for any questions.
If selected to receive a Gilman Scholarship, you will be required to have one official transcript from your currently enrolled institution listed in your online application mailed directly to the Gilman Scholarship Program before you can receive your scholarship funds. Additional information will be provided to Gilman Scholarship recipients at the time awards are offered.