The Timor-Leste Hillary Clinton Scholarship Program aims to strengthen the base of skilled, high performing professionals in Timor-Leste to contribute to the country’s economic and social development. The program includes opportunities in education and training with the expectation that the scholars return home better equipped with formal qualifications as managers, civic and government leaders, subject matter specialists and/or entrepreneurs.
- Address the critical human capacity needs and gaps in Timor-Leste;
- Provide Timor-Leste with a pool of individuals whose increased knowledge and skills can advance the country’s social and economic development;
- Foster increased English language proficiency for scholarship recipients; and
- Increase understanding of the United States among a socially and economically diverse group of Timor-Leste youth and young professionals.
Timor-Leste Hillary Clinton Scholarsphip Program scholarships are awarded through an open, transparent recruitment and selection process to qualified candidates considering individual skills and knowledge, leadership potential, gender, and geographic diversity.
Degree Programs for 2014
Scholarships will be awarded for study in United States community colleges to academically talented and qualified Timorese students from diverse geographic regions in Timor-Leste. Students receiving scholarships in 2014 may pursue a two-year Associates degree in the United States in the fields listed below.
Fields of Study
- Business Administration
- Food Processing & Technology
- Machine Repair
Associate Degrees are academic degrees, offered in community colleges in the United States. Community colleges frequently offer the full range of program offerings that one might find at a four-year university but have an applied focus, with attention to preparing students for the workforce.
Associate Degree programs tend to replicate the first two years of a four-year degree and lead to both an Associate Degree and to transfer with two years of education into a Bachelor's Degree.