IIE, in partnership with Technovation, brings together middle and high school aged girls in India with Team Leaders from Goldman Sachs and Qualcomm to collaborate on the innovative Technovation curriculum.
The WeTech teams:
- Identify problems in their community and design mobile apps to address the issues
- Create business plans and video pitches for the app to develop their entrepreneurial skills
- Submit their pitches to the global competition held each June in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Participate in networking events, workshops and field trips to gain exposure to additional role models and resources to inspire them about career possibilities in tech
On July 19th 2014, the teams participated in the first WeTech Pitch Event in Bangalore, organized by IIE and co-hosted by Goldman Sachs, Qualcomm and NASSCOM. Sixty girls from middle and high schools, along with their parents, teachers and members of the Bangalore tech industry and high-ranking government officials filled the room with excitement. Each team of girls got their five minutes on stage, pitching to a panel of judges from Google, Intel and SAP. While the top three teams received prizes, clearly all the girls had gained much in technical skills, marketing and communication, confidence and inspiration. Special thanks were given to the hard-working mentors from Goldman Sachs and Qualcomm who have given so much to the girls over the past months.
Learn more about the WeTech teams and their app ideas.
Read the press release
Blog Post: Paying it forward with WeTech
Professional Development Workshops
WeTech connects young women in high school and university with professional role models through professional development workshops.
Open Source Workshop
Most recently, the WeTech community benefited from hands-on workshops in Bangalore and New Delhi given by a Mozilla Community developer in association with NASSCOM. These workshops included:
- Open source web development techniques
- Use of Mozilla Webmaker tools
- Training on how to be an effective leader and role model
- Overview of upcoming trends in the technology industry
- Networking opportunities with technology companies and start-ups