The JB Fernandes Award for NGO Excellence in Trinidad and Tobago was specifically created to reward innovation, best practices and partnership among organizations within the non-profit sector in Trinidad and Tobago. A successful submission should highlight fresh approaches, new partnerships and resources in the non-profit sector that are making a significant impact improving the communities of Trinidad and Tobago. A winning initiative does not have to be the biggest or oldest. It should be one that should already be implemented and can show results within the last twelve months. The winning organization along with other noteworthy nominations will be showcased at the 2017 Trinidad and Tobago NGO Professionals Conference.
In choosing a winner, the Selection Panel considers the degree to which the organization achieves success in the following areas:
- Innovation: Developing an innovative approach to solve a pressing need within the country.
- Leadership and Community Empowerment: Demonstrating leadership in inspiring change while addressing specific community needs.
- Impact: Tracking and documenting results that show a positive, tangible and sustainable impact.
- Partnerships: Developing innovative partnerships including private-public initiatives and with other nonprofit organizations.
- Transferability: Sharing and transferring knowledge, expertise and experience through networking and learning.
The Award was established to recognize and reward NGOs, CBOs and civil society organizations who have excelled in their desire to improve their communities through various initiatives while also serving as a shining example of best practices in non-profit management.
The JB Fernandes Award for NGO Excellence in Trinidad and Tobago is funded by the JB Fernandes Memorial Trust II through the Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. It is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
The purpose of the award is to:
- Formally honor the NGO, CBO and civil society profession and communicate the positive impact that these organizations have in the community within Trinidad and Tobago;
- Highlight the best practices of NGOs (effective management, accountability, good governance);
- Identify emerging trends and underrepresented areas in the sector;
- Identify key leaders who will shape the sector.
Following a merit-based selection process, the following will be awarded:
A one-time award of $5,000 US. These funds must be used towards the strengthening of the organization’s structure and/or education of its staff. Within one year of awarding the funds, the winning organization will be asked to show how the funds were allocated.
The JB Fernandes Award for NGO Excellence in Trinidad and Tobago is sponsored by the JB Fernandes Memorial Trust II
The JB Fernandes Memorial Trust II is Administered by Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
The JB Fernandes Award for NGO Excellence in Trinidad and Tobago is administered by the Institute of International Education.