June 2010—The LOTUS Scholarship Program is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) with the support of the American people. The Program is managed by the Institute of International Education (IIE) through its’ MENA Region Office based in Cairo, Egypt in partnership with a consortium of Egyptian private universities and local organizations.
The Program is offering comprehensive scholarship packages to 100 talented and deserving Egyptian students to obtain undergraduate degrees from Egyptian private universities in fields of studies that are important to Egypt’s current and future development. The LOTUS Scholarship Program aims to accomplish the following:
- To identify and empower young women and men who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership, and involvement in their communities;
- To give Egyptians students an opportunity to attend private universities that would normally be above their families’ financial means;
- To develop and nurture the recipient’s leadership potentials, skills sets, commitment to community and country so that they are prepared and equipped to become future leaders and advocates for development in their local communities;
- To enhance the recipients’ employability and career options; and
- To create a network of youth nation-wide who are well educated and passionate about Egypt.
LOTUS Scholarship recipients will attend one of five private universities participating in the Program:
- Ahram Canadian University (ACU)—Sixth of October City
- British University in Egypt (BUE)—New Cairo
- Future University in Egypt (FUE)—New Cairo
- Modern Sciences & Arts University (MSA)—Sixth of October City
- Pharos University in Alexandria (PUA)—Alexandria
Learn more about the USAID LOTUS Scholarship Program