All applications and accompanying references must be submitted online by January 16, 2018. Do not type the entire application in capital letters. If you are not a U.S. citizen and do not reside in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory or protectorate, do not complete the application.
If you are not currently employed full-time as a teacher or administrator at a primary or secondary (grades K-12) school or school district or will not be next year, please do not continue with this application. Please note that auxiliary personnel (nurses, social workers, guidance counselors, speech pathologists, etc.) and university professors are NOT eligible. Please see the eligibility page for further details.
Tips for completing your application
- System Requirements – To complete the application, it is strongly recommended that you use Internet Explorer version 9 or higher or Mozilla Firefox version 57 or higher as your internet browser. Please contact IIE email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties with the application.
- Application Deadline – The application for the 2018 Program is now available. The deadline for online application submission will be Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
- Beginning an Application – To begin the application, visit the application site and click the link "Click here to start a new application."
- Eligibility Questions – Before the system will allow you to register to start an application, you will have to answer a few eligibility questions. If you answer any of these questions incorrectly, you are ineligible for the program and you will not be able to continue with the application.
- Logging On – In order to register to complete an application, you will need to provide basic information about yourself. Your email address will serve as your login ID for the application. If you have more than one email address, we recommend that you use your personal address. The application system will send important emails that many school spam filters will block. Be sure to type your email address correctly as you will not be able to edit it later. You must also create a password which will enable you to logout and log back in to your application.
- Password Question – When registering, you must select a password question from four possible questions. Please do not forget the answer to your password question. This question is asked for security purposes. If you forget your password at anytime, you may click on the "Forgot Password?" link and the system will prompt you for your registered email address and ask you to answer your security question. Your password will then be emailed to you.
- Saving – It is not necessary to complete the application in one sitting. You will be able to save your work by clicking on any of the "Save" buttons at the top and bottom of each screen. You can navigate among pages by using the "Save & Continue" and the "Save & Go Back" buttons. You can also logout at any time by clicking the "Save & Logout" button. The "Save" button simply allows you to save your work but continue working on the current page.
- System Timeouts – For security purposes, the application will time out if it is idle for 15 or 20 minutes. Be sure to click "Save" periodically to ensure that you do not lose any of your work. Typing on a page is not enough to prevent a time out, so save frequently.
- Navigation Pane – When logged into the application, you will notice a navigation pane on the left of the screen. If you click on any of the three categories ("Application," "Preview and Submission," and "Change Password"), the category will expand to show the options within. You can use the navigation pane to move from one page of the application to another. However, be sure to save any changes you've made on the current screen before moving on.
- Essays – There are three essays on the "Program Information' page of the application. The first and third brief essays can be no longer than 300 words. The second essay can be no longer than 400 words. We strongly recommend that you compose and edit your essays in a word processing program and then copy and paste them into the application. Note that the online application will not support any special fonts, graphics, or formatting, including bullets or other special features.
- References – You must submit two online references, one of which must be from your supervisor, preferably your principal. Please see below for important information about the reference submission process.
- Submitting – When you have completed the application to your satisfaction, you must go to the "Preview and Submission" page. First, click "Check Application." If the system finds any errors, go to the necessary sections of the application to correct those errors. Once all errors have been resolved, we recommend that you preview your application. The preview version will open as a PDF in a separate window, so make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off. Carefully read through everything to ensure that no mistakes have been made. Once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to edit any information. When you are satisfied with your application, read the "Declaration" carefully and click "Submit Online Application." You will have to answer the eligibility questions again. After answering those questions, click "Submit."
- Printing your Submitted Application – You do not need to send a printed copy of your application to IIE. However, we suggest that you print or save a copy for your records. Once your application has been submitted, you will be forwarded to a page where you will be able to print or save your final application. Clicking on the "Print Submitted Application" button will launch a PDF of your application in a new window.
Helpful Information about Character Count: The character counts include spaces and paragraph breaks. The application's count might not exactly match Microsoft Word's. If you are not within the application's character limit, your essays will be cut off. Above each essay text box you will see "Characters Remaining" and the number of characters still available to you. If you type directly into the text box, this number will count down as you type. If you copy and paste your essay from Word into the text box and you are within the character limit, Characters Remaining will update automatically. However, if you copy and paste text and you are over the character limit, "Characters Remaining" will not update. Hit backspace once, and the application system will delete any characters over the limit and the count will read "Characters Remaining 0." You will need to shorten your essay so that the system recognizes it as within the allotted character count.
Applications submitted to IIE become the property of IIE and Fulbright Japan. No part of the application will be returned under any circumstances. Please keep a copy of your application for your records.
If you have any questions or need assistance, contact IIE at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-527-2636.