The first Generation Study Abroad International Symposium will take place outside of the U.S. in Helsinki, Finland in partnership with the Finnish National Agency for Education, EDUFI from September 17th to 18th.
The event will convene Commitment Partners and industry professionals in the region to engage in solution-driven dialogue that pushes the envelope on how we think and "do" study abroad, featuring unique opportunities to grow and enhance international partnerships in support of increasing U.S. student mobility. The Symposium Series focuses on addressing the significant value of the intersection between study abroad, global talent and workforce development.
Discounted registration for Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partners! Don’t miss this important two-day event with access to U.S. and European counterparts and regional experts who can advise and collaborate with you.
With its focus on U.S.-Europe study abroad, this symposium seeks to highlight innovations and solutions that increase and diversify the participation of Americans studying abroad. Topics of interest include:
- Innovative models for non-reciprocal exchanges
- Best practices in U.S. faculty-led study abroad
- Organizing internships for American and international students abroad
- Maximizing intercultural experience and learning in short-term exchanges
Agenda Overview (subject to change)
|Monday, September 17, 2018||Tuesday, September 18, 2018||Wednesday, September 19, 2018 (Add-on Option)|
|8:30 – 9:00 AM Registration & Breakfast||8:30 – 9:00 AM Breakfast||9:30 – 1:00 PM Partnership Forum & Lunch hosted by EDUFI for U.S.|
|9:00 – 10:00 AM Welcome Remarks & Guest Speaker – Bruce Oreck, Former U.S. Ambassador to Finland||9:00 – 1:00 PM International Partnership Building to Enhance U.S. Student Mobility Workshop (with lunch)||1:00 – 4:00 PM Finnish University Site Visits for U.S. participants|
|10:15 – 11:45 AM Breakout Sessions||1:00 – 2:00 PM Lunch|
|12:00 – 1:45 PM Lunch Plenary||2:00 – 2:30 PM Closing Remarks|
|2:15 – 3:30 PM Breakout Sessions||6:30 – 8:30 PM Dinner|
|3:45 – 4:00 PM End of Day Remarks|
|6:00 – 8:00 PM Dinner hosted by EDUFI|
Symposium site: Helsinki Congress Paasitorni
Hotel suggestions in close proximity to Helsinki Congress Paasitorni:
(IIE has not made room block reservations for Symposium attendees. Please secure your own hotel reservation or lodging.)
- Scandic Paasi (located next door)
Paasivuorenkatu 5 B Helsinki, 00530, Finland
- Scandic Hakaniemi (250 m / 3 min walk)
Siltasaarenkatu 14 Helsinki, 00530, Finland
- Hilton Helsinki Strand (approx. 400 m / 5 min walk)
John Stenbergin Ranta 4, Helsinki, 00530, Finland
Want to learn more about international partnership opportunities between U.S. and Finnish institutions?
- Check out our webinar from May 21, 2018 – Explore U.S.-Finland Academic Engagement
- Learn more about our International Academic Partner Program to Finland
Cultural Sites of Interest
- Allas Sea Pool is a nice way to experience the Finnish Sauna and some swimming in the city center.
- Haltia the Finnish Nature Center is located about 40 minutes away from Helsinki by bus and gives a nice experience of Finnish nature.
- The Dare to Learn is taking place in Helsinki on September 18-19. Consider adding to your itinerary after the Symposium.