Who should apply
GET internship opportunities are for undergraduate students, graduate students, recent college graduates and young professionals from around the world.
The Application Process
The first step of the process is to register for the GET Database, where you can review all GET internship opportunity postings, including the dates, program cost, location, day-to-day activities, and more. You will have access to view the list of all GET internship opportunities at this time, however, you will not be able to apply to any until you finish the application and email GET@iie.org.
Upon approval of your GET internship application, you will be able to apply to the GET internship opportunities that interest you. Detailed instructions for completing the application can be found below or on the GET Database Resource page.
- January: Opportunities for summer are announced.
- January - May: Application open for summer opportunities.
- May: Finalize placements for summer opportunities.
Complete your personal and academic profiles on the GET Database
Upload the following documents for review:
- Letter of Financial Support: This letter must attest to your financial ability to cover the cost of an average GET opportunity, which ranges from $5,000 to $10,000, including IIE's administrative fees*. If you are being sponsored for participation in GET by an organization or institution, this letter should identify the source of funding. Examples of Letters of Financial Support can be found below:
- Letter of Financial Support (Sponsored) Example (84 KB, PDF)
- Letter of Financial Support (Self-Funded) Example (67 KB, PDF)
*IIE's administrative fees do not include the I-901 SEVIS fee or other fees that may be incurred when applying for the J-1 visa. For additional information on GET's fee breakdowns, please see the Fee Disclosure Sheet below:
- Proof of English Proficiency: It is preferred that GET applicants submit a TOEFL score, however IIE will accept other approved English proficiency assessments. An interview to determine English proficiency can also be arranged. If you would like to schedule a free interview to determine your level of English proficiency, please e-mail GET@iie.org. IIE suggests a TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based) for any GET applicant.
- Letter of Recommendation: An official letter from a recommending institution (university, company, organization, etc.) or individual describing your personal, professional, and/or academic characteristics that qualify you for a GET opportunity. An example of a Letter of Recommendation can be found below:
- Copy of Transcript: An official record of your studies by your most recent academic institution
- Copy of Passport: A scanned copy of your valid passport
- Resume/CV: A description of your academic and/or professional experiences. An example of a resume can be found below:
- Proof of University Affiliation or Company Support: if applicable
Email GET@iie.org to notify IIE's GET internship team that you have completed your application
J-1 visa category information
You may not be eligible for certain opportunities listed on the GET online platform if you have been in the United States on a J-1 visa in any category for the last 12 months for more than a total of six months OR for the last 24 months on a J-1 visa in the professor or research scholar category. If your J-1 exchange visitor sponsorship is provided under the professor or research scholar category you may not return to the United States for participation in another professor or research scholar J-1 exchange program for a period of two years following the end of your GET opportunity.