Q: How do I apply?
A: Please follow the application guidelines on the How to Apply section of the website.
Q: Am I eligible for the program?
A: See the Scholarship Eligibilty Criteria below.
- East Timorese (Timor-Leste) citizenship and proof of residency in Timor-Leste for at least the last two years.
- Minimum of 18 years old at the time scholarship begins.
- Good English language skills. Combined ‘International English Language Testing System’ (IELTS) score of at least 5.5 or TOEFL equivalent. See additional information below.
- High school graduate certificate (Ijazah) with a final average of at least 7.0
- Satisfactory grades in prerequisite coursework depending on field of study.
- Recipients of other scholarships to the United States must prove residency and employment in Timor-Leste for at least two years before they are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must meet the United States requirements for international student visas, including health and background check requisites. Candidates are expected to contribute to the scholarly exchange of information between the U.S. and Timor-Leste and required to return to Timor-Leste following their studies for a period of at least two years.
- Employees of the Timor-Leste Hillary Clinton Scholarship Program, the US Embassy, USAID, their contractors, and their immediate family members are not eligible for scholarships.
Q: What documentation is needed to apply?
A: See the required application documentation below.
- Completed application form
- Proof of Timor-Leste citizenship
- High school certificate (Ijazah)
- Academic transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers, supervisors, or community leaders.
- Completion of a two essays in English. See How To Apply for more details.
- Certified English translations of all documents.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume (optional).