The Women Enhancing Technology (WeTech) Qualcomm Global Scholars program is a partnership between the Institute of International Education (IIE) and Qualcomm that invests in young women and future leaders in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in China.
WeTech believes that providing young women university scholarships for degrees in the STEM sector has tremendous impact on their retention and success rate in their chosen field, at a time when the global tech industry desperately needs more women educated, trained and entering into STEM careers. Combining this financial support with a 6-month structured mentorship program will also enable these women to connect with professionals working in the field who can provide them with valuable advice, guidance, and support to ensure their success as they enter into technical careers after graduation.
Scholarships will be issued to university students from the eligible universities in China in the amount of $2,500 for the 2018 school year. The scholarship recipients will also be expected to complete a 6-month virtual mentorship from March through August 2018. Scholars will be connected with experienced mentors from Qualcomm. Upon successful completion of the virtual mentorship students will receive an academic scholarship to assist with the cost of graduate education.
- Applicant must be female
- Applicant must be a citizen of China
- Applicant must be able to communicate in English
- Applicant must be a current graduate student at one of the following universities:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Southeast University
- Applicant must be seeking a degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) or other STEM-related academic field
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate leadership potential in their chosen field (reference letters will be required)
- Applicant must be willing and available to participate in a 6-month virtual mentoring program from March to August 2018
Timeline:November 15, 2017
- Application opens
- Application closes
- Letters of Recommendations deadline
- Award winners announced
- 6-month virtual mentorship. Scholars are matched individually with a mentor from Qualcomm.