The 2018 IFP Alumni Awards Are Now Closed
Thank you for your interest in the IFP Alumni Awards. The deadline to submit a 2018 Awards application was Monday, July 30. We are no longer accepting applications.
We anticipate a final round of Alumni Awards will take place in 2021, and we will communicate with all IFP alumni about the awards at that time.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extended Application Deadline: Monday, July 30, 8:00 AM EDT (New York, USA)
The Ford Foundation has committed to funding an IFP Alumni Awards program that will support the sustained professional development, research, and/or community projects of IFP alumni. The awards are administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in conjunction with the 10-year IFP Alumni Tracking Study.
The Alumni Awards are individual awards of up to $1,000 designed to support IFP alumni in a wide range of professional, academic, and community activities that are providing a benefit to their home communities.
Examples of activities that are eligible for funding include:
- Support for a community project or initiative, including community development and outreach efforts.
- Costs associated with research, including data collection, field work, or publication or dissemination of research findings.
- Travel or registration costs associated with attending workshops or conferences.
- Expenses associated with membership fees for a professional organization.
To be eligible for the awards, applicants must first complete the 2018 IFP Global Alumni Survey.
In addition, alumni who received an award in 2015 are not eligible for the 2018 awards. Alumni who applied but did not receive an award during the 2015 cycle are eligible to apply for awards in the 2018 cycle. Alumni may only submit one application per cycle.
Please also note the following:
- Applications and all correspondence with IIE during the awards period will be in English. Unfortunately, IIE does not currently have the capacity to accept applications in other languages. However, alumni may choose to conduct their activities in any language.
- Awards will only be made to individual IFP alumni. An application may be submitted only by an individual; no institutional or collective applications are allowed. However, if a project represents the efforts of several individuals, one person must represent the group and complete the application form. Should such a group effort be chosen, the award will be presented to the individual representative. IIE will have no obligation to any other members of the group.
Selection will take place from July to August, 2018. Applications will be judged based on the following criteria:
- The quality and feasibility of the proposal. Preference will be given to applicants who provide clear, coherent and specific information about the activity that will be funded and how the funds will be used.
- Potential for community impact. Preference will be given to applicants who present a strong case for how the activity will benefit their home country or community.
The selection process may also take into account alumni home country, age, gender, or other criteria in order to ensure diversity among those selected.
It is anticipated that approximately 150 awards will be made during this cycle. However, the actual number of awards made will depend on the volume and quality of applications received and will be at the discretion of the selection committee.
Alumni who are selected to receive an award will be notified in at the end of August 2018. The awards period will begin October 1, and recipients will have until September 30, 2019 to complete their activity.
Alumni who receive an Award will be expected to submit an 800-word essay documenting their activity and its benefits for their home community. Alumni will also be encouraged to submit photos, videos, or other multimedia documenting their project. These may be submitted in the alumni’s language of choice.
To complete the application, you will need to provide:
- Your 8-digit IFP ID Number.
- The Application Passcode displayed upon completion of the 2018 IFP Global Alumni Survey.
Email us at IFPAwards@iie.org.
2015 IFP Alumni Award Winners
The Institute received nearly 570 applications for the inaugural 2015 awards cycle. A total of 103 Award winners were selected, representing nearly every IFP country as well as a wide variety of projects and fields of work.
Learn more about the projects supported by the awards by viewing the complete list of the 2015 IFP Alumni Award winners.