Following a successful higher education delegation to Myanmar in February, the Institute of International Education held a second bi-national conference calls co-hosted by IIE and the EducationUSA advising network. The call focused on findings from an IIE report on the current higher education needs in Myanmar, recommendations for academic collaboration, and how all sectors can contribute to rebuilding higher education in Myanmar.
The call was moderated by Allan E. Goodman, President and CEO of IIE. The distinguished participants included:
- Derek J. Mitchell, U.S. Ambassador to Burma (invited)
- Meghann Curtis, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Academic Programs, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Adrienne Nutzmann, Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Embassy in Rangoon
- U Than Swe, Ambassador of the Union of the Republic of Myanmar in the U.S.
- Daniel Obst, Deputy Vice President, International Partnerships, Institute of International Education
- Chris McCord, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, Northern Illinois University