Preference will be given to students who:
- Participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
- Enroll in a study abroad program with at least 20 hours per week of class time, incorporating the study of an East or Southeast Asian language, culture, and history.
- Participate in a study abroad programs taught by host country faculty members.
- Demonstrate sincere interest in incorporating East or Southeast Asian Studies into future academic and/or professional plans.
The three primary criteria used to evaluate Freeman-ASIA Award applications are:
- Financial need
- Commitment to and demonstrated interest in East or Southeast Asian Studies
- Quality of the service project proposal