Watch & listen to plenary speakers form the 2017 IIE Summit on Generation Study Abroad, including voices of representatives from Council for Global Immigration, IBM, Society for Human Resource Management, Telefónica, and United Airlines.
Understanding the Skills Gap: New Careers in the Global Economy
Monday, October 2 – Opening Plenary
Less than 10% of American college students graduate with a global experience leaving 90% of students without key skills in the 21st century global economy. Americans’ jobs are a major part of the national conversation, and studying abroad in college is one of the best ways to prepare for the future global workplace.
By 2050, the collective GDP of the E7 will be 50% larger than those of the G7 countries, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers. The World Bank predicts that, in less than 15 years, China will become the world’s largest economy, and experts estimate that more than half the world population speaks more than one language. How will we prepare the next generation of Americans for the jobs of the future?
To address this pertinent question, this plenary will feature a dialogue with various industry representatives from some of the fastest growing and largest global companies to hear their perspectives on what is changing in our world, the impact they see to their industries, including skills gaps and identification of how to fill that gap with global competencies.
Building a Diverse Global Talent Pipeline: Increasing Study Abroad in High School & College
Tuesday, October 3 – Closing Plenary
The National Center for Education Statistics projects that total higher education enrollment will increase from 20 million in 2014 to 23 million by 2025. The minority student population, currently at approximately 42%, continues to grow rapidly, with Hispanic students as the fastest growing race/ethnicity in undergraduate enrollment at an average of 5% increase annually since 2009. Yet, only about one quarter of the 10% of U.S. college students studying abroad each year are representative of minority ethnic backgrounds.
We recognize that in today’s interconnected world, you cannot succeed in the global economy or solve the world problems without working together across cultures and borders. How do we address this gap and increase study abroad participation in high school and college to build a diverse global talent pipeline?
This plenary session will feature prominent leaders from the public, private, nonprofit, and education sectors who are working to build a diverse global talent pipeline by dramatically increasing the number of students who study abroad in high school and college.