STA Travel, a long-time Commitment Partner and travel supporter for IIE’s Generation Study Abroad initiative, is generously awarding International Teacher Identity Cards (ITIC) & International Youth Travel Cards (IYTC) to U.S. high school teachers and their students to aid in accessible travel needs for international education experiences. All eligible teachers will receive an ITIC before the end of 2019 and can apply to receive a bundle of IYTCs for their students. IIE & STA will select ten (10) teachers to receive 50 IYTCs to be granted to students at their school and used in towards study abroad and travel in 2020.
As the Generation Study Abroad initiative aims to increase and diversify the U.S. students studying abroad by the end of the decade, IIE and STA recognizes that teachers are outstanding advocates for study abroad. Teachers inspire their classrooms and communities by fostering curiosity about the world, incorporating global education, encouraging language learning, and taking students on exchange programs. These early international education experiences support student learning and further advance their higher education interests and professional opportunities.
ITICs and IYTCs are internationally recognized ID cards that can grant access to unique and exclusive travel discounts around the world.
Travel Award Application Process:
All teachers that complete the travel award application form will receive an ITIC in 2019. The applicants that inform IIE and STA of their reasons for both their international education interests and that of supporting more of their students to participate in study abroad will be considered for a bundle of 50 IYTCs to give to their students in 2020
In the application, teachers seeking both the ITIC and bundle of IYTCs will respond to the following:
- What actions have you taken to encourage students to study abroad?
- build awareness throughout the school community articulating and demonstrating the benefits of study abroad
- embed global education in your curriculum and linking to study abroad
- educate stakeholders in your school, district, or broader community
- participate in enrichment opportunities
- educate, inspire, and motivate students to ask about and pursue study abroad in college
- have led/will lead a study abroad program for students attending your high school
- Describe one of the actions you have taken to encourage students to study abroad that has had the biggest impact and why. If you are leading a study abroad program, please describe this activity.
- How would receiving a bundle of IYTCs financially assist your students to study and travel abroad in 2020?
- If selected to receive the bundle of IYTCs, how would you distribute the IYTCs to students that supports diversity and inclusion at your high school?
- If selected to receive the bundle of IYTCs, how would you publicize the news?
- Currently employed as a teacher or administrator (Principal, Guidance Counselor, Gifted & Talented, Special Ed Coordinator, etc.) at the high school level in the United States
- Demonstrates service to a diverse high school student population in the U.S. and consideration of inclusive participation (IIE and STA value diversifying the U.S. student participation studying and traveling abroad, with preference to student populations historically underrepresented, such as students identifying as racial/ethnic minorities or LGBTQIA, from rural areas, from lower socio-economic families/backgrounds, and students with disabilities.)
- Exhibits study abroad advocacy to the students and/or community
- November 14, 2019: Application opens for U.S. high school teachers
- December 13, 2019: Application closes
- January 2020: IIE & STA select 10 recipients of the IYTC bundles
- February 2020: IIE & STA publicize the winning teachers and their students
Contact for questions:
Please contact STA representative Emma Neely, Emma.Neely@statravel.com.
About STA Travel
STA Travel is the world's largest student and youth travel company, successfully enabling young adults to explore the world since 1979 by creating experiences filled with adventure, discovery and personal growth. STA Travel offers a unique range of products with exclusive discounts on airfare, accommodations, tours, rail passes and more. STA Travel has more than 2,000 people in over 200 stores in 12 countries, and sends more than 2 million passengers away each year on life-changing adventures. For more information, visit www.statravel.com.
Travel Award Disclaimer: STA Travel is an authorized licensed distributor of ITICs and IYTCs. STA Travel will administer the application process and distribute the ITICs and IYTCs. STA and IIE will share the application data and conduct the review and selection together.