The GET – Teaching Assistant Program will be temporarily on hold and therefore will not be accepting applications for 2019-2020.

For any questions, please contact Collette Agnese at

Hosting an GET-TA is an excellent and economical way to strengthen and expand language department offerings at the U.S. institutions.

All GET-TAs can be assigned diverse duties at their host institutions and are not limited to working exclusively in a formal classroom setting. Each institution is free to tailor the program to meet their unique needs. The ability of the teaching assistants to engage their students informally is quite often the key to successful language learning. Institutions often incorporate program extracurricular activities into the teaching assistant's work schedules such as sponsoring community/university lectures, hosting social events, and leading conversation groups. Many teaching assistants live in residence halls and/or language houses and engage in other types of informal activities with their students daily.

For GET-TAs, host institutions offer awards that include room, board and a stipend which ranges from $400 to $600 per month. Because Teaching Assistants are required to take at least two academic courses per semester to fulfill J-1 visa regulations, colleges and universities waive tuition and fees for study.

Institutions may arrange long-term homestays in lieu of room and board. In some cases health insurance coverage and a travel grant are included.

IIE provides GET-TA participants with J-1 Visa Sponsorship and placement at a U.S. host institution at a private or public college or university. IIE will issue a SEVIS-generated DS-2019 form to the GET-TA. The DS-2019 is required in order for the GET-TA to secure a J-1 student visa. The United States government has mandated that an internet-based system be implemented to enable schools and the Department of Homeland Security to exchange information on the immigration and academic status of international students, teachers, scholars and their dependents, nation-wide. This program, called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is also used by the U.S. government to track arrivals and departures as well as continued enrollment, academic training, on campus employment and other important related activities. IIE is responsible for complying with SEVIS regulations.

Host institutions who independently identify TAs can work with IIE’s visa sponsorship team to secure a J-1 visa for their exchange visitor.

For details, visit IIE's visa sponsorship website or contact

The Application Process

Colleges or Universities interested in hosting a GET-TA:

If you are interested in hosting a GET-TA at your college or university, please note that IIE's GET TA and Fulbright FLTA teams collaborate to evaluate U.S. colleges and universities.  After application evaluation, host institutions are contacted by the IIE team that is best equipped to meet their needs.  To be considered for a GET TA and/or a Fulbright FLTA hosting opportunity, please apply here.

Institutions hosting GET-TAs may be responsible for program monitoring and management fees.


If you have any questions about GET-Teaching Assistant Program, the application process, or the fee, please contact us at

Program Specifics

GET TAs are not required to have a teaching degree. However, they should possess a bachelor's or master's degree in one of the following subjects:

  • Anthropology
  • Area Studies
  • Arts
  • Communications
  • Computer Sciences/Technology
  • Education
  • Education, Rural
  • Education, Teacher Training
  • Educational Administration
  • Educational Psychology
  • Educational Technology
  • Humanities
  • Languages
  • Literature
  • Social Sciences
  • Social Work
  • Sociology

As J-1 exchange participants, Teaching Assistants must complete at least two academic courses per semester and may engage in independent research related to their fields of study. These activities, combined with the teaching activities, meet J-1 visa requirements for full-time, non-degree students pursuing a prescribed course of study.

Many institutions request GET-TAs who have an interest and ability to live in small towns or are adaptable to living in rural areas. They request that their GET-TAs have excellent organizational and computer skills. They prefer people who have interests in sports, outdoor activities, music, dance, theatre, literature, poetry or cooking. Most of all, they look for candidates who demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to learn.

Each host institution tailors the assistantship to its language teaching needs.