Program Arrangements

  1. What are the costs associated with participating in the Japan-U.S. ICT Teacher Exchange Program? The Japan-U.S. Teacher Exchange Program incorporating ICT in the Classroom is fully-funded, except for some meals. Participants are responsible for costs associated with preparing for the program such as travel supplies, or costs associated from being away from their jobs.
  2. Will the program cover substitutes and other costs related to my absence from school? No. While the program itself is fully-funded, costs due to your absence from school, such as hiring a substitute teacher, are not funded by the program. Schools are encouraged to regard this professional development opportunity as a valuable investment and to explore avenues of cost-sharing to support participation.
  3. How will travel arrangements be handled? The Institute of International Education (IIE) will make all travel arrangements for U.S. participants. Travel arrangements will be made from participants’ home airports to/from the conference in Hawaii. Participants may not make their own travel arrangements.
  4. May I bring my family or friends with me? No. Participants will be expected to follow a vigorous schedule and will not have time to spend with family members or friends.
  5. Are there any special health requirements for participation in the Japan-U.S. ICT Teacher Exchange Program? There are no special health requirements to apply to the program. However, applicants should be aware that the program is intensive, and participants will be expected to participate in all activities during the conference.


  1. I am not employed as a full-time grade 7-12 teacher. May I still apply? No, you must meet these requirements to apply.
  2. I have previously applied to and/or have been awarded the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program or the Japan-U.S. Teacher Exchange Program for ESD. May I still apply? Prior recipients are only eligible if they can demonstrate the ability to apply “Space and Earth” to their own subject. Priority will be given to those awarded neither of the two programs. Prior non-successful applicants are eligible to apply but should note that the program focus, and application questions have changed.
  3. I am a relatively new teacher. Although I am eager to learn about the topic, I do not have any awards to enter in my application. Should I apply? Yes. Fulbright Japan highly values interest and enthusiasm and encourages applicants who will demonstrate a long-term commitment to the program's goals and objectives. However, applicants with only a few years of experience should demonstrate their knowledge of American education, strong interest in “space and earth” as a theme in teaching subjects, and their long-term commitment to education and international exchange.
  4. I am planning to retire and/or leave the field of education in the near future. Should I apply? Since the program goals are accomplished through long-term implementation of ICT curricula, the screening panelists will give preference to qualified teachers and administrators who are committed to working in education for several years after having completed the program.
  5. I do not have previous experience relating to Japan or knowledge of the Japanese language. Should I still apply? Yes. Applicants are not required or expected to have previous knowledge of Japanese or Japan, only a serious academic/professional interest in curriculum development, teaching methodologies, and/or projects and activities related to ICT, as well as interest in collaboration with Japanese colleagues. A simultaneous interpreter will accompany the group during the program.
  6. I am a Fulbright alum (Fulbright Teacher Exchange, Fulbright-Hays, or any other Fulbright program). Am I eligible for the Japan-U.S. ICT Teacher Exchange Program? Yes. Fulbright alumni are eligible for the program if they meet the other eligibility criteria.
  7. My colleague and I wish to apply together. Is this possible? No. You are both free to apply, but you must complete separate applications.
  8. If I am accepted to this program, do I become a "Fulbrighter" or a Fulbright award recipient? No. This program is administered by Japan-U.S. Educational Commission (Fulbright Japan), but Fulbright award recipients are those who have applied and competed for specific Fulbright study or research award categories. You will be considered a participant in a Fulbright Japan-administered program.