The Institute of International Education (IIE) created the Heiskell awards in 2001 to promote and honor the most outstanding initiatives that are being conducted in international higher education by IIENetwork member universities and colleges. By recognizing excellence and innovation, the Institute hopes to support IIENetwork members in their endeavors and to signal a new and important role for international education on campus.
IIE's Heiskell Awards showcase the most innovative and successful models for internationalization of campuses, study abroad, and international partnership programs in practice today. We are particularly interested in highlighting initiatives that remove institutional barriers and broaden the base of participation in international teaching and learning on campus.
The goals of IIE's Heiskell Awards are:
- To foster innovative ideas that will help international education professionals create and sustain new opportunities for students and faculty
- To bring international education to the forefront of education policy
- To stimulate public awareness of the benefits of study abroad and international educational exchange
The 2018 IIE Andrew Heiskell Award Winners
CATEGORY: Internationalizing the Campus
Advancing curriculum development, fostering international opportunities and creatively integrating international students into university life.
- Winner: Virginia Commonwealth University, VCU Globe
- Honorable Mention: Northwestern University, Program in Global Health Studies
- Honorable Mention: Rochester Institute of Technology, A Blueprint for Global STEAM Education
CATEGORY: Study Abroad
Providing innovative programs and services to make study abroad more accessible to a broader student population. Special emphasis on specific efforts that led to a strong increase in study abroad participation.
- Winner: University of Massachusetts Lowell, Global Entrepreneurship Exchange
- Honorable Mention: Baldwin Wallace University, BW in Zambia
CATEGORY: International Partnerships
Recognizing strategic, comprehensive and innovative international partnership efforts.
CATEGORY: Internationalizing the Community College
Creating innovative programs and services, including study abroad, to make international opportunities accessible to community college students.