Discovering Global Citizenship
2015 Heiskell Award Winner: Internationalizing the Campus
Texas Christian University developed a campus-wide program of resources and events called Discovering Global Citizenship to engage TCU with the world by providing international and comparative experiences for students. With 30 percent of students and faculty already engaged in global pursuits, the goal in launching the program was to build a grassroots network of learning to impact all levels of the university and build global awareness among the other 70 percent of the community.
Discovering Global Citizenship has created six different initiatives to date, incorporating technology for overseas communication with foreign students, developing international projects and partnerships, bringing in guest speakers, and fostering research collaboration with visiting scholars. The purpose of this international programming on campus is to bring global opportunities to the TCU campus so that students and faculty can engage in sustained international experiences in their own university community.
One program, Virtual Voyage, facilitates conversations by bringing students together through technology to interact with people in places such as Haiti, Rwanda, and the Middle East. In 2014, TCU along with four TCU students from Rwanda participated in the 20th commemoration of the genocide. Virtual Voyage simultaneously brought together individuals in Rwanda with students on TCU’s Texas campus and a delegation of TCU students at the international commemoration in Washington D.C.
TCU also developed the Global Innovators Initiative to bring international experts from around the world to engage with faculty and staff on campus. Experts from developing countries such as South Africa, Egypt and Haiti come to TCU allowing students and faculty to participate in curricular and co-curricular programs, and are then eligible to receive a $25,000 grant to sustain a collaborative project.
“We are dedicated to this initiative because of its importance and relevance to higher education and in preparing today’s student for responsible, global citizenship,” says R. Nowell Donovan, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.