The Japan-U.S. Teacher Exchange Program for ESD includes two chief elements: a program featuring a Joint Conference in the U.S., and a study tour of Japan concluding with a Joint Conference in Tokyo.
The 2017 program for Japanese participants in the U.S. will be administered from Sunday, April 23 to Thursday, May 4. The U.S. participants will meet with their Japanese counterparts from Sunday, April 30 to Wednesday, May 3 (including travel days) for a joint conference in the San Francisco Bay Area, comprised of collaborative workshops and ESD curriculum development activities.
The 2017 program for U.S. participants in Japan will be administered from Tuesday, June 20 to Sunday, July 2. The program in Japan for U.S. educators will include an orientation to Japanese culture and education, workshops and presentations from experts in ESD, visits to cultural sites, a homestay with a Japanese family, visits to ESD-focused schools and other ESD resource sites, and a Joint Conference between the Japanese and U.S. teachers in Tokyo, focused on the collaborative development of ESD curricula. The program in Japan will be fully-funded with the exception of some meals and optional travel within Japan on the final free afternoon in Japan.
2017 Program Calendar:
- Application deadline—January 13, 2017
- Selection notifications sent—approximately March 14, 2017
- Japanese group arrives in U.S.—April 23, 2017
- Joint Conference in San Francisco—May 1-3, 2017
- Japanese participants return to Japan—May 4, 2017
- Deadline for participant reflection reports on the Joint Conference—May 26, 2017
- U.S. participants travel to Japan—June 20, 2017
- Joint Conference in Tokyo—June 29-July 1, 2017
- U.S. participants return to U.S.—July 2, 2017
- Deadline for participant impact reports on post-program ESD activities—October 31, 2017