The applicant must be a Ph.D. student, must be currently enrolled in a U.S. university, and must have completed all course requirements and qualifying or comprehensive examinations for the doctoral degree before initiating IAF-funded field research.
- The competition is open to U.S. citizens and citizens of independent Latin American and Caribbean countries (except Cuba). Proposals for field research in Cuba, Puerto Rico or the Dutch, French and British territories are not eligible.
- Applicants must speak and read the language(s) appropriate to the research. An evaluation is required.
- Each applicant must demonstrate a planned, substantive collaboration during the field research period, with a development or applied research institution in the Latin American or Caribbean country of the research. A letter confirming this affiliation is required.
- IAF Fellows cannot receive funding from other sources in support of research conducted during the period funded by the Fellowship without the IAF’s prior written consent. The IAF will not disburse funds for benefits duplicated by another donor.
- IAF Fellowship requirements prohibit application by an individual who, at the time of submission and during the period when such application is under consideration, is a party to a contract with the Inter-American Foundation to perform in-country services or is a director, officer, employee, or contractor of an in-country service organization under contract to the Inter-American Foundation. During their field research period, IAF Fellows are prohibited from being a party to a contract with the Inter-American Foundation to perform in-country services or from holding the position of a director, officer, employee or contractor of an in-country service organization under contract to the IAF.
- IAF Fellowship requirements prohibit the award of an IAF Fellowship to individuals employed by and on payroll of a U.S. government agency during the field research period, and to past IAF employees during the 12-month period following their separation from the IAF.