The Japan-U.S. Teacher Exchange Program for ESD includes two chief elements: a program featuring a Joint Conference in the U.S., and a study tour of Japan concluding with a Joint Conference in Tokyo.
The 2014 program for Japanese participants in the U.S. will be administered from Saturday, April 26 to Friday, May 9. The U.S. participants will meet with their Japanese counterparts from Sunday, May 4 to Wednesday, May 7 (including travel days) for a joint conference in San Mateo, CA, comprised of collaborative workshops and ESD curriculum development activities.
The 2014 program for U.S. participants in Japan will be administered from Monday, June 16 to Tuesday, July 1. The program in Japan for U.S. educators will include an orientation to Japanese culture and education, workshops and presentations from experts in ESD, visits to cultural sites, a homestay with a Japanese family, visits to ESD-focused schools and other ESD resources sites, and a Joint Conference between the Japanese and U.S. teachers in Tokyo, focused on the collaborative development of ESD curricula. The program in Japan will be fully-funded with the exception of some meals and optional travel within Japan on a final “free day” in Japan.
2014 Program Calendar:
- Application deadline—January 14, 2014
- Selection notifications sent—March 3, 2014
- Japanese group departs for U.S.—April 26, 2014
- Joint Conference in San Francisco—May 4-7, 2014
- Japanese participants return to Japan—May 9, 2014
- Deadline for participant reflection reports on the Joint Conference—May 22, 2014
- U.S. participants travel to Japan—June 16, 2014
- Joint Conference in Tokyo—June 27-29, 2014
- U.S. participants return to U.S.—July 1, 2014
- Deadline for participant impact reports on post-program ESD activities—October 9, 2014