Generation Study Abroad has generated momentum showing that through collective action we can achieve results. The Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partner network includes 800+ higher education institutions, study abroad organizations, education associations and country partners who pledged to boost and broaden participation in study abroad.
GSA COMMITMENT PARTNER NETWORK
444 U.S. Higher Education Institutions 194 associations or organizations in 35 countries
151 international Higher Education Institutions in 37 countries
22 governmental organizations representing their respective countries
In 2020, IIE took stock of Generation Study Abroad with the final annual progress survey for GSA Commitment Partners. The survey tracked progress toward goals, best practices, and the implementation of effective activities and resources for the network.
A Commitment to Building a Global Generation: The Five-Year Impact of IIE’s Generation Study Abroad Initiative is the final impact report highlighting key programmatic efforts and partner achievements framed by an analysis of data collected over the life of the initiative, offering a comprehensive review of the collective and partner-specific successes and lessons learned for the continued advancement of diversity, inclusion, access and equity in study abroad.
- Accelerated U.S. student participation in study abroad
- 3 times growth in study abroad experienced by GSA U.S. partner institutions, compared to other U.S. institutions
- Increased access and diversification
- 39,000+ scholarships awarded and 600+ new scholarships established by 168 GSA Commitment Partners
- 75% of GSA Commitment Partners focusing on diversity reported increases in study abroad participation among these top populations of focus: students with financial need, first-generation students, Black/African American and Latino/Hispanic students, and STEM majors.
- Amplified the value of study abroad
- Nearly 4 million people reached through #GoStudyAbroad campaign
- Nearly 50,000 views of GSA videos
- 10 IIE publications and additional digital resources
- Convened partners & students, sharing knowledge
- 17 events with 3,000+ participants from around the world to share learnings and best practices, innovate strategies, develop partnerships, access resources and optimize goal attainment.
During the 5-year initiative, more than 100 GSA Commitment Partners met their pledged goals, receiving the IIE Seal of Excellence in recognition of their achievements.
Through our partnerships and generous donors, IIE awarded $1 Million in scholarships and grants to students and teachers.
- Generation Study Abroad Scholarships
- IIE Passport Awards for Study Abroad
- French Embassy – Generation Study Abroad Scholarships
- GSA Travel Grants
- IIE AIFS Foundation Generation Study Abroad Enrichment Grants
IIE’s Generation Study Abroad initiative received the honor of the inaugural PIEoneer Award for Championing Diversity in 2017. PIEoneer awards celebrate the most innovative work that is being done across the international education sector.
Keep championing diversity, inclusion, access and equity in study abroad with IIE.