The Fulbright Program and IIE

The Fulbright Program, the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government, is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The Fulbright Program offers grants to study, teach and conduct research for U.S. citizens to go abroad and for non-U.S. citizens to come to the United States. The primary source of funding is an annual appropriation by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). Participating governments and host institutions, as well as corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support.

The Fulbright Program is administered by IIE. We are honored to have worked with the State Department to administer the Fulbright program since 1946.

Fulbright Programs

Fulbright US Student Program

Offers fellowships for U.S. graduating seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study abroad for one academic year. The Program also includes the English Teaching Assistant component.

Fulbright Program for Non US Students

Enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to conduct research and study in the United States. Some scholarships are renewed after the initial year of study.

Fulbright US Scholar Program

Sends American scholars, professionals, and artists abroad to lecture and/or conduct research for up to a year.

Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program

Brings foreign scholars, professionals, and artists to lecture and/or conduct post-doctoral research for up to a year at U.S. colleges and universities.

Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program

Offers educators the opportunity to exchange teaching positions with a teacher from another country for one semester or academic year.

Fulbright Awards in Teaching

Recognizes and encourages excellence in primary and secondary classroom teaching in the U.S. and abroad.

Fulbright FLTA

Provides opportunities for young English teachers from overseas to refine their teaching skills and broaden their knowledge of American culture and society while strengthening the instruction of foreign languages at colleges and universities in the United States.

To learn more about other U.S. government sponsored exchange programs, visit:

Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs