The Japan-U.S. Teacher Exchange Program for ESD includes two chief elements: a program featuring a Joint Conference in the U.S., and a study tour of Japan concluding with a Joint Conference in Tokyo.
The 2018 program for Japanese participants in the U.S. will be administered from Sunday, April 22 to Thursday, May 3. The U.S. participants will meet with their Japanese counterparts from Sunday, April 29 to Thursday, May 3 (including travel days) for a joint conference in the San Francisco Bay Area, comprised of collaborative workshops and ESD curriculum development activities.
The 2018 program for U.S. participants in Japan will be administered from Tuesday, June 19 to Sunday, July 1. The program in Japan for U.S. educators will include an orientation to Japanese culture and education, workshops and presentations from experts in ESD, visits to cultural sites, a homestay with a Japanese family, visits to ESD-focused schools and other ESD resource sites, and a Joint Conference between the Japanese and U.S. teachers in Tokyo, focused on the collaborative development of ESD curricula. The program in Japan will be fully-funded with the exception of some meals and optional travel within Japan on the final free afternoon in Japan.
2018 Program Calendar:
- Application deadline—January 12, 2018
- Selection notifications sent—approximately March 15, 2018
- Japanese group arrives in U.S.—April 22, 2018
- Joint Conference in San Francisco—April 30-May 2, 2018
- Japanese participants return to Japan—May 3, 2018
- Deadline for U.S Program Online Evaluation—May 13, 2018
- Deadline for first impact report, to be submitted to IIE—May 31, 2018
- U.S. participants travel to Japan—June 19, 2018
- Joint Conference in Tokyo—June 28-June 30, 2018
- U.S. participants return to U.S.—July 1, 2018