Funding is a key obstacle to studying abroad. That's why over half of the partners of the Generation Study Abroad network have made commitments to increasing scholarships for students. As of December 2015, over $55 million in student scholarships have been raised by the network. The following is a partial list of study abroad funding opportunities.
IIE Generation Study Abroad Scholarships
The Institute of International Education (IIE) will make funds available for the IIE Generation Study Abroad Scholarship Program for U.S. students from a broad range of backgrounds to make it possible for them to participate in an academic, internship or service-learning experience abroad.
The scholarship program is intended to diversify study abroad and to encourage students to go abroad who would otherwise not participate in an international experience. The program will provide Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partners from U.S. colleges and universities who complete their annual progress report and demonstrate progress toward their pledge an opportunity to secure supplementary funds for student scholarships.
Additional Funding Opportunities from the Generation Study Abroad network:
- Generation Study Abroad Stem2Spain Scholarship: Olesay Spain is supporting Generation Study Abroad students with 20 awards in 2017. The gift will fund twenty $540 scholarships for students who are pursuing a degree in one of the STEM fields. In Partnership with the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), the largest public institution dedicated to research in Spain, Olesay Internships provide a unique opportunity for students in STEM disciplines to get a glimpse of advanced research. The winners of the scholarship will be awarded $540, to be directly applied to the internship program of their choice. Students may apply for the scholarship before March, 31, 2017.
- Vice Chancellor's Anniversary Scholarship for Diversity in Study Abroad: The University of Roehampton, UK is offering ten scholarships per semester, each offered as a £1500 tuition fee reduction and is available across all majors offered to Study Abroad students at Roehampton. As part of the application process students are required to demonstrate that they come from an under-represented group within Study Abroad.
- Semester scholarships at Otago Polytechnic Auckland International Campus (OPAIC), New Zealand: As part of their Generation Study Abroad pledge, OPAIC is offering four fee-reduction scholarships of NZD3,000 to students of Generation Study Abroad U.S. commitment partner institutions for one semester of study in their Bachelor of Applied Management program. Course offerings can be found in the Study Aboard Calendar. Please contact Nick van Der Walt at email@example.com for more information.
- ARAMFO Scholarship for Building Faculty-Led Travel Courses at American Universities: The ARAMFO Educational Foundation is proud to offer a $10,000 scholarship to study abroad offices that have 50 student participants in the ARAMFO's travel programs from their university. ARAMFO works to support faculty led travel courses. This scholarship will go toward financially supporting students who are interested in participating in faculty-led travel courses in the following academic year through their schools. This scholarship is available for the 2015-2016 academic year to all universities.
- Athena Study Abroad “Access Study Abroad" Scholarships: Athena Study Abroad is providing $50,000 in scholarships to assist under-represented students studying abroad. Fifty scholarships of up to $1,000 each will be offered to participants of Athena Study Abroad programs. Up to two scholarships may be awarded per institution.
- American University in Dubai Scholarship: As part of their Generation Study Abroad pledge, the William Jefferson Clinton Scholarship at the American University in Dubai (AUD) seeks to further the goals of the Clinton Presidential Foundation to strengthen the capacity of people in the United States to meet the challenges of global interdependence. In partnership with AUD, the program provides American students based in the US the opportunity to expand their educational and cultural horizons by studying in the Arab world. The Scholarship gives a full waiver of tuition for one term and covers housing.
- Education New Zealand Scholarships: Education New Zealand, in partnership with New Zealand's eight universities and five participating Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics, will provide merit based and travel awards of $500 to $2,000 for U.S. students studying abroad in New Zealand.
- Learn more about Education New Zealand Scholarships
- AIFS Generation Study Abroad Scholarships: As part of their Generation Study Abroad commitment, AIFS is offering several semester and summer merit scholarships to students who demonstrate high academic achievement, at least a 3.0 GPA, and write an essay addressing "How study abroad will impact my academic and personal growth."
- Semester in Amsterdam Generation Study Abroad Excellent Scholarship: VU University Amsterdam will offer scholarships of €3,000 to students of Generation Study Abroad U.S. commitment partner institutions for one semester or one year of study on their campus. Students can choose from over 300 English taught undergraduate courses or follow a specialized disciplinary track. VU is also providing up to 4 Fulbright awards to US Students who wish to pursue a graduate degree in the Netherlands.
- IIE Passport Awards for Study Abroad: The Institute established the IIE Passport Awards for Study Abroad to encourage students from inner city high schools to enroll in college and to study abroad during their undergraduate years. Learn more about the nomination and application process for the IIE Passport Awards for Study Abroad
- Find Scholarships and Grants for Study Abroad: This resource features detailed descriptions of hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals. Post your own scholarships to this page and share this resource with your study abroad students.