Since 1972, IIE in Washington, DC has administered the IVLP for more than 20,000 participants.
Working closely with the U.S. Department of State, we develop highly enriching programs that address the interests of the international participants, facilitate conversation around key global and domestic issues, demonstrate the diversity of the United States and address U.S. foreign policy goals.
Programs are designed as an opportunity for participants to expand their professional knowledge base, as well as develop leadership skills through interactive workshops, speaking engagements, casual and formal events, and cultural activities.
We conduct intensive research to identify key interlocutors in Washington, DC and across the country, ensuring that the meetings are at the appropriate professional level and will prove mutually beneficial for both the international and American participants.
Though meetings during the program are relatively brief, oftentimes they spark longer term linkages that develop into international partnerships. We engage international alumni, encouraging them to remain connected to the people they meet throughout the program and to share their IVLP experience upon returning home.
We also manage logistics, from hotel arrangements and flight reservations to ground transportation, ensuring a smooth and worry-free travel experience.
Project themes have included:
- Arts and Culture
- Counter-Terrorism, Emergency Management, and Law Enforcement
- Democracy and Human Rights
- Education, University Administration, and Literacy
- Energy Resources and the Environment
- Freedom of Information
- Interfaith Dialogue and Conflict Resolution
- International Crime
- Journalism, including New Media
- Rule of Law
- Science and Technology
- Tolerance and Diversity
- Trade, Development, Small-Business Management and Social Entrepreneurship
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- U.S. Government, Federalism, and Government Transparency
- Youth Leadership and Activism
- Women’s Issues, including Gender-Based Violence and Economic Empowerment