IIE is honored to be a designated sponsor of the U.S. Department of State’s J-1 visa program. Exchanges fulfill the IIE mission of building leadership skills and enhancing the capacity of individuals and organizations to address local and global challenges.
What is J-1 Exchange Visitor Sponsorship?
Individuals from abroad can come to the U.S. to develop an understanding of American culture through experiencing life and work here and then return home to share their experiences. Exchange visitors have the opportunity to:
- Engage in long and short term research collaborations.
- Teach in an accredited elementary or secondary school, or university classroom.
- Share their specialized knowledge or skill.
- Train in their occupational field while sharing their cultural experiences with Americans.
Interested in applying for IIE’s exchange visitor sponsorship?
A representative of the U.S. organization who will host the exchange visitor should contact IIE directly to learn more and begin our online application. IIE does not provide placement services to individuals for our exchange visitor program.
IIE provides the following sponsorship related services:
- Pre-application credential review.
- Assistance to the host organization in developing an exchange program or training plan.
- Online application system for host organization.
- Written terms of appointment outlining the U.S. exchange activities and funding arrangements.
- Delivery of pre-arrival information, instructions, and online orientation materials to exchange visitors.
- Monitoring and maintenance of the J-1 non-immigrant visa record.
- Option to enroll in IIE group health insurance policy.
- Conducting site visits.