Nomination and Selection
The 2024 IIE Heiskell Award nominations are open until February 9, 2023, 11:59pm EST.
Each category will have one winner, who will receive an award certificate and a U.S. $1,000 prize to further support the winning project.
Nominations are welcome from current IIENetwork member institutions/organizations from around the world. We encourage new members to join the IIENetwork by the nomination deadline in order to submit a nomination. If you are unsure of your organization’s membership status, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the Strategic Partnerships category, at least one of the partnering institutions must be an IIENetwork member and is the responsible nominating party.
Complete nomination packages must include both the online nomination form submission and a letter of endorsement from the President, Chief Academic Officer, Senior International Officer, or Senior Leader from the nominating institution/organization.
- Both the online nomination form and the letter of endorsement must be submitted by the nomination deadline to be eligible.
- The letter from your President, Chief Academic Officer, Senior International Officer, or Senior Leader endorsing your program’s nomination must be signed.
- Nomination packages may also include one additional letter of support if desired.
- Institutions applying for the Strategic Partnerships category should include a letter from each of the partnering organizations, and may include up to one additional letter.
- All letters must be saved as the name of the nominating institution/organization in either a Word Document or PDF and combined into one file if there are multiple pages/letters.
- Email the letter(s) to email@example.com with the subject line: 2024 IIE Heiskell Award Nomination Letter.
IIE will review applications to confirm eligibility and relevance to the category. IIE will engage an internal and external selection committee with knowledge and experience in the field to evaluate applications based on these additional criteria:
- Relevance to the Category – demonstrates a clear connection to and innovation in the chosen category.
- Level of Innovation – demonstrates unique or new practices or responds to a gap or need identified in common practice. This may include use of technology and adaptations to infrastructure to overcome challenges.
- Strength of Impacts and Outcomes – this may include addressing systemic issues, long-term viability, or significant concentrated impact.
- Scalability – consideration if the model is transferable or scalable for others to use and adapt.
Is my organization eligible for the IIE Heiskell Awards?
The IIE Heiskell Awards are open to current IIENetwork member institutions/organizations. Organizations can be located anywhere, the awards are not limited to the U.S. If you are unsure of your organization’s membership status, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m an individual IIENetwork member. Can I nominate myself or my organization?
The Heiskell Awards are not open for individual nominations. If you are currently an individual IIENetwork member, you are not eligible to nominate an organization/institution for the awards. If you are interested in helping your organization join the membership in order to become eligible for nomination, contact email@example.com.
Can I nominate in multiple categories?
No, your organization can only nominate in one category each year. We encourage you to select one category that best fits the initiative or program you are nominating. Relevance to the category is considered as part of the selection.
Can I nominate if my organization/institution has previously won a Heiskell Award?
Previous winners are eligible to self-nominate any year and in any category, however, it must be for a different initiative or program than your previously awarded one. Nominations for the same initiative are ineligible and will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
My program/initiative is small, will that impact its nomination?
No, programs of all sizes have received Heiskell Awards. The awards recognize innovation and impact at all scales, and we encourage nominations of diverse or targeted programs.
Can I save and return to my nomination form?
Yes, you are able to save on each page of the nomination form. You will be able to save and return to the nomination form until the deadline (February 2, 2024 at 11:59pm Eastern). Please take note of the link provided when you click to save. This will allow you to return to your saved form without having to initiate another nomination form. If you require assistance accessing your saved nomination, email firstname.lastname@example.org.