Current Funding Efforts
IIE is now accepting nominations for our Fall 2023 ESF Round. IIENetwork Member institutions may nominate up to 5 total international students from Libya, Morocco, Sudan, or Ukraine impacted by:
- the September 2023 floods in Libya,
- the September 2023 earthquake in Morocco,
- the ongoing conflict in Sudan, or
- the war in Ukraine.
This effort will provide one-time grants of between $2,000 and $3,000 to selected students whose ability to pay the costs of their academic year 2023-24 in the United States is in jeopardy due to serious financial difficulties related to these crises. Funds can be used to cover the students’ educational, living, or health related expenses.
To find out if your institution is an IIENetwork member, visit www.iie.org/membership or email email@example.com. If your institution is not a member, please reach out to ESF@iie.org with any questions.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Nominations must be submitted by an administrator at an IIENetwork Member institution in the United States. An institution may not nominate more than 5 students. Students may not submit their own nomination.
- Nominees generally must be studying in the United States on an F-1/J-1 or F-2/J-2 visa. If the student is on another visa, you may explain the situation in the application. ESF cannot fund permanent residents or citizens of the United States.
- Nominees must be enrolled for studies during the 2023-24 academic year and pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree.
- Nominators must provide unique and accurate information for each nominee, demonstrating the financial hardship that nominees face as a result of the relevant emergency.
- U.S. host campuses nominating students for the Emergency Student Fund are encouraged to provide additional emergency assistance to nominated students through tuition waivers, scholarships, housing or other direct support when possible.
Students who are active participants of the U.S. Department of State’s Fulbright Program are not eligible for ESF awards. If these participants have emergency needs, they should contact their advisor at IIE (or the advisor at the relevant cooperating agency) to discuss any individual situations.
The nomination deadline for the Fall 2023 ESF round is October 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
If nominating several students, please rank students from 1-5 based on financial need, with “1” being the highest level of need. Please take the time to describe each student’s financial and personal situation individually. The more detailed and personalized information the selection committee has access to, the better are the chances for students to receive an ESF award.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and review this FAQ before beginning your nomination form.
Contribute to the Emergency Student Fund
IIE always welcomes additional contributions for the Emergency Student Fund so it can respond quickly to help international students when disasters and emergencies in their home countries threaten to jeopardize their studies.
We thank you for your interest in supporting students in times of crisis and appreciate your donation.