The IIE Senior International Officer (SIO) of the Year Award was created in honor of IIE’s Centennial in 2019 and is presented annually to an SIO who has demonstrated extraordinary leadership in internationalization.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
Any Senior International Officer may be nominated for the IIE SIO of the Year Award. A Senior International Officer is defined as the individual who leads international initiatives at an institution of higher education. Eligible nominees who successfully submit an application form and accompanying documents will be reviewed by a distinguished panel. Nominees will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Has developed a widely-embraced understanding of international education and engagement as important to the mission and goals of their institution
- Has fostered multi-faceted, strategic international programming that has had significant impact across the institution
- Has built effective administrative structures, procedures, and policies for supporting international work across the institution
- Has made demonstrable, significant, and innovative contributions to the field of international education.
- Has demonstrated a commitment to mentoring new professionals and broaden access to the field of international education.
- Continuously updates and expands their knowledge of the theories, methods, and best practices of academic internationalization