IIE distributes payments electronically to participants with U.S. bank accounts. If you are participating in an IIE-administered program and you are scheduled to receive payment(s) from IIE, you will receive an email from our bank when the money is available. Follow the registration instructions and the money will be transferred directly into your bank account. This is a fast and secure way to send money.
For more information about this process, please consult the FAQs section below or contact your IIE Advisor.
IIePAY: How to Register & Receive Your First Payment
- Open a U.S. bank account when you arrive in the U.S. IIE recommends that, when you go to open an account, you confirm with a bank representative that Zelle payments are accepted and if there are limitations or fees associated with Zelle payments. Some U.S. financial institutions do not work with the Zelle service, have monetary limits, or charge fees associated with Zelle payments.
- Log into your bank account online and confirm that you can access it. Some banks may require you to reset your password the first time you log in. You must do this before you follow the next steps.
- Visit the Zelle website to register with IIePay.
Now, you are registered with IIePay and are ready to receive payments!
Important: Make sure the email address on file with your bank is the same primary email address on file with IIE. If you need to change the primary email address on file with IIE, update it directly at the Portal or contact your IIE Advisor.
You will receive an email from Bank of America (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or around your program start date. This email indicates that your payment is ready for transfer. If you have correctly followed steps 1-3 above, you will receive your payment shortly after receiving the email.
About the Bank of America Email
- It is okay if you receive this email before you open your U.S. bank account or register for IIePay with Zelle.
- This email, and your first payment, is linked to the start date of your program; not the day you arrive in the U.S.
- If you fail to open a U.S. bank account and register for IIePAY within 14 days of receiving this email, your payment will be automatically canceled.
- If your arrival is delayed or you need more time than the 14 days, please contact your IIE Advisor so that we can make adjustments and have a new email sent.
- If you do not receive the email within 5 days of your program start date, check your Spam/Junk folder; if you do not find it there, contact your IIE Advisor.
- How do I provide my email address to IIE?
- How do I get the money? Is there is a registration process?
- How long will it take for the money to be deposited into my account?
- How long do I have to accept my first payment?
- If I am expecting multiple payments from IIE, will I have to login to Zelle® each time?
- Will my IIE Advisor send the payment notification email?
- What if I don’t get the email or I can’t access the email IIE has on file for me?
- If I need to change the email address IIE uses, what should I do?
- What if I don’t have a U.S. bank account?
- Do I have to use a bank in the Zelle network?
- What if I need to change banks and want future payments deposited to a different account?
- What if I already have a Zelle account?
- What is Zelle and what role does it play?
- Am I going to get spam from Bank of America or Zelle after signing up for IIePAY?
- Is there a fee for IIePAY?
Q: How do I provide my email address to IIE?
A: IIE will use the primary email address on file for you. In most cases, that is the personal email address you provided in your application materials.
If that email address is incorrect or no longer active, please email your IIE Advisor immediately.
Q: How do I get the money? Is there is a registration process?
A: You will receive an email from Bank of America when your payment from IIE is available. So, to receive timely payments, you must keep your email address accurate with IIE. The initial email from Bank of America will include information about registering via the Zelle website. You will need to complete a one-time registration process. After you register, your payment will be electronically deposited into your bank account.
Q: How long will it take for the money to be deposited into my account?
A: After you register, you should see the money in your bank account within the same business day or the next business day. In rare cases, the transfer of funds can take a couple of days.
Q: How long do I have to accept my first payment?
A: You have up to 14 days to accept your first payment. If you do not register right away, you will receive 2 reminder emails. On day 15, your payment will be cancelled and you will receive a notification email.
Q: If I am expecting multiple payments from IIE, will I have to login to Zelle each time?
A: You must register with Zelle to receive your initial payment. After the initial registration, you do not need to visit the Zelle website to receive payments. You will get an email notification and the payment will be automatically deposited into the bank account on file with Zelle. You only need to visit the Zelle website if you need to change your bank account information.
Q: Will my IIE Advisor send the payment notification email?
A: Your IIE Advisor sends a lot of important information via email, but your payment notification email will come from Bank of America. It is recommended that you add email@example.com and your IIE Advisor’s email to your address book.
Q: What if I don’t get the email or I can’t access the email IIE has on file for me?
A: If you can’t find the email from Bank of America, but your email address is accurate, you can go directly to the Zelle website to register. If your email address is not accurate or you no longer have access to the email address on file, please contact your IIE Advisor immediately and provide an email address you are able to access.
Q: If I need to change the email address IIE uses, what should I do?
A: You should email your IIE Advisor with this request. After your email address is updated and your next payment is issued, you will receive an email from Bank of America.
If you already have a Zelle account, you will need to recomplete the Zelle registration process with your new email.
Q: What if I don’t have a U.S. bank account?
A: If you do not have a U.S. bank account and you are a U.S. citizen or you will be studying in the United States, it is highly recommended that you open a U.S. bank account. Many U.S. banks require a small amount of personal funds to open an account. It is your responsibility to decide on the appropriate account for your personal needs. If you are unable to open a U.S. bank account and require an alternate arrangement, please contact your IIE Advisor immediately.
Q: Do I have to use a bank in the Zelle network?
A: Zelle has a network of U.S. banks that participate. Registering for Zelle is easier if you use one of the banks in the Zelle network. If you use a bank that is not in the Zelle network, you will need to complete an alternate registration process. This alternate registration process requires you to enter more information, including your bank account number and the routing number.
If you do not have these numbers, ask for assistance from a representative of your bank.
Q: What if I need to change banks and want future payments deposited to a different account?
A: If you would like your payments deposited into a different account, you should login to Zelle and enter the details of your new account before the next payment is issued.
Q: What if I already have a Zelle account?
A: If you are already registered with Zelle, make sure your Zelle registration is under the same email address you provided to IIE.
Q: What is Zelle and what role does it play?
A: Zelle is a way to send and receive money between U.S. bank accounts using just an email address. Through Zelle, banks are able to “talk to each other” and send money securely between accounts.
IIE uses Zelle to send money from our Bank of America account to your account.
Q: Am I going to get spam from Bank of America or Zelle after signing up for IIePAY?
A: No. You won’t receive spam from Bank of America or Zelle®. Your information will only be used by Bank of America and Zelle to make payments.
IIE will continue to use your email to provide information related to your international exchange experience. The information you provide will never be sold.
Q: Is there a fee for IIePAY?
A: IIE, Zelle and Bank of America will not charge a fee for this service. Additional fees from your financial institution may apply.