The IIE Emergency Student Fund is issuing a call to IIENetwork Member institutions to nominate up to five international students from Afghanistan or Haiti who are impacted by either the security emergency in Afghanistan or the earthquake in Haiti.
This effort will provide one-time grants of between $2,000 and $5,000 to selected students whose ability to pay the costs of their fall 2021 semester in the United States is in jeopardy due to serious financial difficulties related to these crises. Funds can be used to cover the students’ educational, living, or health related expenses.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Nominations must be submitted by an administrator at an IIENetwork Member institution in the United States. An institution may not nominate more than 5 students. (If your institution joins the IIENetwork by September 15, the nominations will be considered). Students may not submit their own nomination.
- Nominees must be studying in the United States on an F-1/J-1 or F-2/J-2 visa,
- Nominees must be enrolled for studies in Fall 2021 and pursuing an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree.
- Nominators must provide unique and accurate information for each nominee, demonstrating the financial hardship that nominees face as a result of the relevant emergency.
- U.S. host campuses nominating students for the Emergency Student Fund are encouraged to provide additional emergency assistance to nominated students through tuition waivers, scholarships, housing or other direct support when possible.
The deadline has been extended to September 15, 2021.
Complete the online nomination here
You should use the same form for Afghanistan and Haiti, nominating no more than five students in total. If nominating several students, please rank students from 1-5 based on financial need, with "1" being the highest level of need. Please take the time to describe each student's financial and personal situation individually. The more detailed and personalized information the selection committee has access to, the better are the chances for students to receive an ESF award.
Contribute to the Emergency Student Fund
IIE always welcomes additional contributions for the Emergency Student Fund so it can respond quickly to help international students when disasters and emergencies in their home countries threaten to jeopardize their studies.
We thank you for your interest in supporting students in times of crisis and appreciate your donation.
To learn more about IIENetwork Membership, please visit www.iie.org/membership.