Khalifa University is a merger between the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Petroleum Institute (PI) and Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR). Khalifa University was established to consolidate the resources and infrastructure of three of the most respected academic institutions in the UAE and the Middle East.
The resulting unified university reinforces Abu Dhabi’s and the UAE’s commitment to pursuing the development of world-class research and human capital initiatives. The new unified Khalifa University of Science and Technology has three campuses – a main campus and two satellite campuses in Sas Al Nakhl and Masdar City.
The campuses include:
- Over 228 state-of-the-art laboratories investigating subjects ranging from artificial intelligence and robotics to clean energy, hydrocarbons and aerospace.
- 16 dedicated research centers exploring a diverse range of energy, water, aerospace and information and communication technology challenges.
- Over 62 acres (or 250,000 m2) in covered unit space.
- Over 215,000 square feet (20,000 m2) of dedicated laboratory and research space.
- Three major demonstration facilities for solar energy, sustainable buildings, and bioenergy.
- Open and unlimited access to laboratories for all students in a multicultural environment
What important dates should I know?
- Please refer to the 2019-2020 Academic Calendar for all important dates.
Is the education at KU co-ed or segregated?
- At the Khalifa University of Science and Technology, all new students at both the undergraduate and graduate level will study in a gender-integrated environment.
What graduate degrees are offered at KU for international students?
- Khalifa University offers the following academic graduate programs for international students:
- Master of Science in Applied Chemistry
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Science in Computing and Information Science
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Engineering Systems and Management
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Master of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science in Petroleum Geoscience
- Master of Science in Sustainable Critical Infrastructure (includes Civil Engineering)
- Master of Science in Water and Environmental Engineering
- Master of Science by Research in Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Health, Safety and Environmental Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Concentration
- Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Systems and Management
- Material Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Petroleum Geoscience
What are the requirements for admission to graduate programs at KU?
- The list of requirements for all graduate programs can be found on the Graduate Admissions page.
How do I apply? When is the application deadline?
- Students can apply to KU at the following link: https://www.iie.org/KU-International-Grad-Program
- The deadline for Spring 2020 applicants is October 1, 2019.
- The deadline for Fall 2020 will be in February 2020 (subject to change).
How many programs can I apply for?
- Applicants can only apply to one program per semester.
Do I need to take an English language proficiency test?
- Subject to review and approval, the English test score requirement (TOEFL, IELTS or EmSAT) may be waived for an applicant who is:
- A native English speaker who has completed his/her Bachelor’s/Master’s degree qualification in an English-medium institution
- A graduate from an English-medium institution who can provide evidence of acquiring a minimum overall academic IELTS score of 6.0, or a minimum TOEFL score of 79 iBT (or equivalent), or a minimum EmSAT English score of 1400 at the time of admission to the completed Bachelor’s/Master’s degree program.
- All non-native English-speaking Masters and PhD applicants need to obtain a minimum level of English proficiency in the form of either:
- All applicants must provide evidence of meeting the English language requirement by uploading the relevant document with their application, even if he/she may be eligible for an exemption.
What are the IELTS and TOEFL test dates? Are they given at Khalifa University?
- IELTS and TOEFL exams are not offered at the Khalifa University of Science and Technology and test dates vary by location. Please visit the relevant website for information on test dates, available locations and how to register for the exams:
What does the Khalifa University International Graduate Student scholarship include?
- The international graduate student scholarship program offers STEM students a full-ride, a generous tax-free stipend ($2,200-$2,700 per month), health insurance, annual airfare travel to their home country, funding to attend international conferences, and opportunities and access to state-of-the-art research facilities.
Who qualifies for this scholarship?
- International students who receive an admission offer into a graduate degree program at Khalifa University will automatically be qualified for the KU International Graduate Student Scholarship.
How do I obtain health insurance?
- The university will assist you in enrolling into a health insurance plan upon your arrival to Abu Dhabi.
What type of housing is available on and off campus?
- There are on-campus single occupancy apartments available for all students. For 2+ occupancy, there are off-campus housing options available.
Am I allowed to bring family members while on the KU International Graduate student scholarship? Do they need a visa?
- Students can bring family members to the UAE under the guidelines of their visa. Please note that on-campus housing at Khalifa University is limited to single occupancy only – therefore the student would need to obtain off-campus housing and provide health insurance for anyone other than him/herself.
- Students will need to follow all procedures and guidelines according to their visa. In most cases, students will obtain a student visa and family members can be listed as dependents.
Am I allowed to work while on the scholarship?
- Scholarship recipients can work on-campus in various capacities for Khalifa University.
I’ve received an offer and accepted – what do I do next?
- The Khalifa University onboarding team will be in touch with you to arrange for travel, pick-up, and housing information.
Do I need to apply for a visa?
- Upon acceptance of the scholarship, Khalifa University will conduct the arrangements for your visa and send it to you electronically.
Who will greet me upon my arrival to the UAE?
- A Khalifa University representative will meet you upon your arrival to the airport.
What campus facilities are available?
- A list of all campus facilities (dining options, financial institutions, etc.) can be found here.
Will I have access to transportation?
- Shuttles are available between the Khalifa University main campus and the satellite campuses. Students also have access to a bus service available to different parts of the city.
What type of co-curricular programs are offered?
- Khalifa University offers a variety of co-curricular programs and encourages students to get involved to enhance their campus experience. More information on programs and activities can be found here.
Are there athletic facilities available?
- Yes. Khalifa University has the largest multi-level sports center in the UAE, featuring state-of-the-art cardiovascular and weight lifting equipment, fitness studios, courts for basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton, and more.
Are there travel opportunities available for students?
- The university offers opportunities for international conferences and research.
Are there career services available?
- Yes, more information about our career services can be found here.