Doctor of Medicine Program
About the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) Program and International Scholarship
International applicants who have graduated from a North American university may apply for a full-ride scholarship to the Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences. The full-ride scholarship covers all academic fees and tuition, and because of the medical school’s certifications, students will be able to compete for U.S. based residencies upon completion of their degrees.
The 4-year course of study leading to the doctor of medicine (M.D.) degree employs a variety of educational strategies, including problem-based learning and clinical experiences to enable students to gain the competencies expected of all physicians. Additionally, the program offers an emphasis on providing technology-enhanced healthcare in service to the community. The program prepares students for postgraduate study in any specialty, for licensure, and for future medical practice. It incorporates an innovative curricular design that promotes scientific inquiry, critical thinking, and comprehensive clinical expertise. Overall, the program evolves medical education in such a way as to prepare physicians for the next 20 years and beyond.
The goal of the M.D. Program is to graduate physicians with the knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary to advance healthcare around the world. Admissions criteria are based on meeting this goal. The factors used to evaluate applicants include academic performance, non-academic experiences (e.g. leadership, service, research, clinical work), a demonstrable interest in healthcare, and personal attributes such as maturity, leadership, and resilience. The M.D. program is co-educational, and participants must be prepared to work together in small groups, workshops, and clinical training sessions.
Learn more about the ScholarshipAdmissions Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited college or university
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (science discipline preferred)
- GPA: Cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0; Science GPA ≥ 3.0
- MCAT: Official score must be provided. Scores ≥ 500 are preferred
- English Proficiency as evidenced by:(any one of the below fulfills the English Proficiency requirement)
- Exemption for native English speakers who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree at an English-speaking university
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or greater or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5 or greater, or
- 1550 or greater EmSAT English score
- Required Pre-requisite Courses (Grade of C (or equivalent) or higher in each)
- General Biology with laboratory – 2 semesters
- General Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry with laboratory 1 semester plus Biochemistry – 1 semester
- Physics with laboratory – 2 semesters
- Mathematics (College Algebra or higher) – 2 semesters
- Recommended Pre-requisite Courses (minimum 2 semesters in one or more of these areas)
- Epidemiology / Statistics
- Cell Biology
- Foreign/Additional Language
- Social Sciences
- Non-Academic Experiences (Preferred)
- Organizational leadership
- Community service/volunteerism
- Design experience demonstrated innovation/entrepreneurship
The following required documents should be scanned in a clear and legible form and uploaded to the online application:
- Certified copy of Bachelor’s/Master’s degree certificate(s) (as applicable).
- Equivalency certificate issued by the UAE Ministry of Education for applicants that have graduated from institutions outside of the UAE.
- Official transcript showing the grading scale.
- If non-exempt: English language proficiency score certificate (IELTS, TOEFL or EmSAT). Official TOEFL score reports can be sent directly by your institution to Khalifa University of Science and Technology using the institutional TOEFL code 0960.
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Passport-style photograph on a white background.
- Valid passport.
- Personal statement (1000 to 2000 words) describing:
- Why you wish to pursue a career as a physician (500 to 1000 Words) and
- Why you wish to attend Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences (500 to 1000 Words).