For Albanian Resident Scholars
Resident Scholars in Albania meeting the eligibility requirements are now invited to apply for READ’s third year. The deadline to apply is Friday, December 15, 2023, at 16:59 Central Europe Time.
Albanian Resident Scholars are academics based at an eligible university in Albania: The Albanian Resident Scholar(s) will collaborate with Diaspora Scholar on the project request. If selected, the Albanian Resident Scholar(s) will be the primary point of contact for the Diaspora Scholar during the fellowship period. Additionally, Albanian Resident Scholars must possess all the following qualifications in order to be eligible for the READ Program:
- Albanian lecturer/scholar currently working at an eligible higher education institution (HEI) in Albania.
- PhD or other terminal degree, or equivalent professional training or experience at the time of application.
- More than 5 years of working experience at a university or research center in Albania.
- Proficiency in English appropriate to the research project to be carried out in Albania.
- Track record of building partnerships for the strengthening of Albanian higher education.
- Knowledge of the field of expertise and willingness to share and commit with the Diaspora Scholar
- Note: A team with two or more scholars from HEIs has an advantage.
In READ Year 3, faculty at the following institutions are eligible to submit a READ project:
- Aleksander Moisiu University, Durrës
- Aleksandër Xhuvani University, Elbasan
- Epoka University
- Eqrem Çabej University, Gjirokastër
- European University of Tirana
- Fan S. Noli University, Korça
- Ismail Qemali University of Vlorë*
- Luigj Gurakuqi University, Shkodër
- Marin Barleti University
- POLIS University
- Polytechnic University of Tirana
- Sports University of Tirana
- University of Agriculture of Tirana
- University of Medicine
- University of New York Tirana
- University of Tirana
READ provides support for Albanian Resident Scholars to request the visit of an Albanian Diaspora Project to pursue capacity-building collaborative research projects at eligible Albanian HEIs. READ supports this collaboration through four main activities:
- Collaborative research
- Joint supervision of PhDs
- Curricula and course development, and/or
READ encourages projects that combine co-teaching with other supported activities.
In many cases, READ anticipates that Albanian Scholars are in contact with colleagues from the Albanian Diaspora in an OECD country and will collaborate on the project details submitted by the Albanian Resident Scholar. READ encourages this kind of cooperation, although it does not increase the likelihood of selection in comparison to projects without such prior cooperation.
Albanian Resident Scholars who are awarded fellowships will also receive a Research Grant in the amount of $5,000 USD (up to $15,000 USD for projects in STEM.) In their applications, Albanian Resident Scholars will be invited to propose budgets in any or all of the following categories:
- Resource Materials: Purchase of books, e-books, journal subscriptions, shipping costs, software, portable power sources and wireless internet devices which benefit the proposed project and the host institution.
- Research: Purchase of research materials, equipment and services. Fieldwork research costs — transport to field, survey costs, meals, accommodation in field if needed, for fellow and students.
- Publishing: Publishing fees and other costs.
- Technology: Laptops, printers, tablets or projectors and any other related equipment necessary for the proposed project.
- Conferences/Workshops: Rental spaces, materials and refreshments for any necessary events.
- Other: Applicants can suggest other costs for READ to consider.
Research grants awarded by READ may be for all or part of the amounts requested.
NOTE: Research Grants paid to Albanian Resident Scholars will be subject to Albanian tax withholding of 15%.
Email READ@iie.org with any questions.