Welcome to the GLO toolkit, a resource for U.S. higher education institutions of all sizes and types to learn from IIE’s research and each other. The toolkit offers recommendations for how to adopt and tailor promising practices for graduate learning overseas data collection at your institution, including detailed case studies to guide your data collection efforts.
How should I use the modules and resources in this toolkit?
High-quality data collection and student records are essential for ensuring that your institution is set up for success when sending graduate students overseas. Our GLO research identified three major areas of promising practices in effectively collecting and using data on graduate student learning overseas:
Each area is described in depth through a series of three modules. The first module establishes a foundation, outlining essential concepts for your consideration as you start or refine graduate learning overseas data collection. This module aims to focus on data collection at your institution that is both useful and able to guide institutional learning. The subsequent modules can be viewed in any order, depending on your institution’s needs. Modules two and three address how to leverage the existing systems and databases at your institution together with relevant offices and partners at your institution.
We recognize that one size does not fit all, and that your institution may have unique challenges. The promising practices and case studies presented in each module suggest a wide range of strategies suitable for different institutions.
- Module 1: Fundamentals for Graduate Learning Overseas Data Collection
- Module 2: Using All the Tools in Your Institution’s Toolbox
- Module 3: Building Your Data Collection Team through Intracampus Collaboration
- Who’s Counting? Understanding the Landscape of Graduate Overseas Learning – This comprehensive report shares results of the first national survey to U.S. higher education institutions on the topic of graduate learning overseas.
- Promising Practices Guide – This white paper describes effective graduate learning overseas data collection practices used by U.S. institutions and forms the basis of the GLO Toolkit.
- GLO Data Dashboard – This interactive and downloadable dashboard displays aggregated, institution-level data from the GLO survey.
- GLO IEW Webinar – This recording shares GLO survey and focus group findings.
- IIE Networker article – This article features information on graduate learning overseas and employability.
- Literature Review – This review provides an overview of discipline-specific studies related to graduate learning overseas.