Archived Data

Higher Education Sector | Inbound Mobility | Outbound Mobility


Higher Education Institution (HEI): A HEI or postsecondary education institution includes formal educational activities for which high school completion is the normal entrance requirement. Constituting authority or ownership is the primary distinction between Public HEIs and Private HEIs. When ownership is not apparent, the involvement of government in the control of the provider is the most important distinction. Control is defined as the potential to affect strategic decision-making, either through funding or accountability requirements.

Inbound/International Student: A temporary resident who has been approved by an immigration officer to study in Canada. The study permit identifies the level of study and the length of time the individual may study in Canada. International students do not need a study permit for courses of six months or less if they will finish the course within the period of stay authorized upon entry, which is usually six months. Every foreign student must have a student authorization, but may also have been issued other types of permits or authorizations.

Foreign Student: Canada does not differentiate between international and foreign students.

Outbound Student: Canadian students pursuing a full-degree abroad as reported by the UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Canada does not have national data for students who participate in short term education abroad experiences as part of their Canadian degree.