Archived Data

Higher Education Sector | Inbound Mobility | Outbound Mobility


Higher Education Institution (HEI): HEIs are "accredited" and regulated by the Swedish Higher Education Authority. Only officially recognized HEIs can award credits and awards within the Swedish higher education system, which entitles students to student loans. Other tertiary institutions that offer professional degrees exist too. But students at these institutions do not get credits, are not awarded degrees and cannot get public student loans.

Public HEI: Public HEIs in Sweden are legally, public authorities or agencies.

Private HEI: Private - or independent - HEIs are legally and financially independent entities but also receive public funding for education and research.

Inbound/International Student: An individual who crosses national borders into Sweden to pursue education. The term is divided into two categories: (1) Exchange students are persons taking part in an organized exchange program, and (2) Free movers, including persons with residence study permits entering Sweden less than two years before beginning their studies; persons entering Sweden less than six months before starting their studies; and persons in the national student database without a national registration number. To receive a study permit, a student needs to have been accepted at a HEI in Sweden, paid the installment fee, and demonstrated that he or she has funding to cover living expenses for the duration of the study permit, sometimes granted one year at time.

Only students enrolled in degree/qualifications programs or are receiving credits for a degree back at their home institutions are included in Sweden’s definition of an international student.

Foreign Student: Sweden does not differentiate between international and foreign students.

Outbound Student: Outbound student’s Swedish students pursuing degree/qualifications abroad or those participating in for-credit short-term or exchange programs for credit back at their institution in Sweden.