At IIE, we believe that when education transcends borders, it opens minds, enabling people to go beyond building connections to solving problems together. Our vision is a peaceful, equitable world enriched by the international exchange of ideas and greater understanding between people and cultures.
IIE’s mission is to help people and organizations leverage the power of international education to thrive in today’s interconnected world.
We focus on work that achieves the following:
IIE develops and implements many of the world’s most effective and prestigious scholarship and training programs.
IIE helps governments and corporations develop an educated workforce and prepare students and professionals to succeed in the global economy.
Promoting Access to Opportunity
IIE provides opportunities to underserved populations, protects scholars and students in danger and encourages teaching and learning across cultures.
Our Goals and Impact
IIE is committed to measuring the impact and outcomes of our programs at the individual, institutional and environmental levels. The examples on this page include programs supported by the U.S. Department of State, USAID, the Government of Brazil, Cargill, and a combination of public and private funds. They illustrate our strategy of continuously evaluating both the benefits that program activities provide to participants and the objectives that the programs are designed to achieve. To measure these outcomes, IIE engages in a number of qualitative and quantitative methods of program evaluation, including surveys, comparative case studies, interviews, focus groups and observations.
Goals for 2017
- Expand student and scholar mobility and the number of individuals worldwide who participate in international education.
- Innovate and drive excellence in the design and management of our exchange and training programs and reach even greater numbers from underprivileged, underrepresented, and displaced populations.
- Drive thought leadership in international education and serve as the leading resource for governments, foundations, universities, and corporations in developing new international education programs.
- Innovate and scale up IIE products, services, and initiatives to advance our core mission as it relates to study abroad, supporting higher education in crisis, empowering women and girls and higher education partnerships.
- Measure and communicate program and IIE-wide impact to stimulate learning and program improvement within IIE and the broader field of international education.
- Support our team members so that they can have a productive and rewarding career at the Institute, while growing personally and professionally.