The application has now closed.
Can students apply to the IIE American Passport Project?
No, students should not apply to the IIE American Passport Project. Only institutions can apply for the grant. If you are a student at an institution who has already received a Passport grant and are trying to access the nomination form, contact your campus’ advisor or IIEPassport@iie.org.
Is there an application? How can I apply?
Each institution can only submit one application and designate one point of contact for the award, so please coordinate with your study abroad office on the application process.
Is my institution eligible?/Can an individual (as opposed to an institution) apply for this?
In order to be eligible to apply for the IIE American Passport Project, institutions must be:
- A U.S.-based college or university, and
- A current IIENetwork member in good standing as of January 17, 2024. If you are not sure of your membership status, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the student nomination eligibility criteria?
Selected institutions will identify and nominate students, who meet the following eligibility criteria, to receive the funding for their U.S. passport application fee.
- U.S. citizen;
- 18 years of age or older;
- Enrolled at the awarded institution; and,
- Pell Grant eligible.
Priorities for consideration of nominated students include:
- First-year students and those for whom it is their first-time to receive an adult U.S. passport, and
- Students who identify with any of these historically marginalized or traditionally underrepresented student populations in study abroad: racial/ethnic minorities, LGBTQIA+ students, gender diverse students, first-generation student (first in family to attend or graduate from a college or university), students with disabilities, students with demonstrated financial need, veterans, non-traditional age students, and students who have never traveled abroad.
What costs does the program cover?
The award will only cover the $165 passport fee for each of the 25 students and not any indirect costs related to the application like the passport photo or mailing costs.
I am an IIENework member and I am trying to apply, but my institution name isn’t being recognized in the application.
If your membership is current and are you encountering this issue on page 2 of the application, please try the following steps to see if they resolve the issue. If the issue persists, contact IIEPassport@iie.org.
- Type in the first 3 letters of your institution name
- Wait for the autosuggest
- Click on your institution name rather than typing it all in